Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bump head my one shindawia has worn out again. This is two times in the last year. Once it happened a month after I bought it, and now it just happened again this week.

None of my other trimmers, and I mean none, have gone through even one head. What is the deal with this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Tide man I have the 2003 shiny catalog right next to me and I can see 4 different types of tap heads 4' pro head, 6'prohead,promatic head and semi-matic head. I would ask the dealer whats best if your wearing them down that fast. I run a tap head on my T260 (not sure what one) but I use the tap on all my drive, curb and walk way edges etc and have had that one since I bought it in mid 2001 and use it about 3 hours a day sometimes for a lot longer.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by pinnacle
Tide man I have the 2003 shiny catalog right next to me and I can see 4 different types of tap heads 4' pro head, 6'prohead,promatic head and semi-matic head. I would ask the dealer whats best if your wearing them down that fast. I run a tap head on my T260 (not sure what one) but I use the tap on all my drive, curb and walk way edges etc and have had that one since I bought it in mid 2001 and use it about 3 hours a day sometimes for a lot longer.
thanks for info..I do know that they upgraded my tap head the first time that it wore out...I am just kind of upset that this is happening so much. Where did you get the catalog?

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just emailed shindaiwa about the problem and let's see how long it will take them to contact me about it.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Stop bumping them on concrete.
the concrete isn't the issue because none of my other trimmers have gone through a bump head. Now if others had, then yes the concrete would be the issue.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yeh i'd be upset to if i'd gone through two in year.
I just asked my shiny dealer for the catlouge.Lots of good stuff in it (in the feild repair kits, Sthill head adaptors more adaptors etc)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Yeh i'd be upset to if i'd gone through two in year.
I just asked my shiny dealer for the catlouge.Lots of good stuff in it (in the feild repair kits, Sthill head adaptors more adaptors etc)
Pinnacle,
Hows it goin neighbor. I would be interested in those adapters mate. I've got the new Shin T2500x (The 4 stroke) I had my choice of heads and I got the manual feed because I dont like the "Button" type tap heads which was really the only other one to pick from. I just like the "normal" tap n go heads. So am I right in that I could get an adapter for the Sthil head or maybe a Kawi? How much are they in the catalog?
Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tiedeman,
I got tired of trying to open my T-260 head. You needed a third arm sometimes. I bought a Stihl head and the adapter to fit the T260. Go to a decent dealer that hopefully sells both brands, or at least a large line of Stihl and the should have the bolt. Total was about 32 dollars and the Stihl head is a breeze to load.

·
Registered
791 Posts
G'day Mick,
I can almost smell spring mate, it's guna be a ripper cutting season .

How do you like that 4 banger ?

The catalog has a sthil adapter in it but no price. I not sure about the Kawi but the sthill is a definite.
Ask ya dealer for the catalogs. I got mine from Ballina.

I've been running the fixed line aluminum heads for the last week and think Iam almost converted. There great, I seem to be alot quicker with this head and the line lasts alot longer for some reason. Just changing the line is a pain in the ---.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

VP70 (FULLY AUTOMATIC)
Super Auto

Fully automatic, no tapping required
Change in RPM will automatically index line
Designed for professional use
Optional use of cover nut gives 1/2" line clearance from ground

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
G'day Mick,
I can almost smell spring mate, it's guna be a ripper cutting season .

How do you like that 4 banger ?

The catalog has a sthil adapter in it but no price. I not sure about the Kawi but the sthill is a definite.
Ask ya dealer for the catalogs. I got mine from Ballina.

I've been running the fixed line aluminum heads for the last week and think Iam almost converted. There great, I seem to be alot quicker with this head and the line lasts alot longer for some reason. Just changing the line is a pain in the ---.
Hey mate. Been bloody warm aint it!:blob2: Just hope we get some real rain before too long. I'll see how I go with this head for the now but its still good to know that its possible to change if I want to. The "4 banger" is good although a little heavier than I'm used to but I'm sure Ill get used to it. Not sure it its me but I don't think its got the RPM of the 2 strokes, hmmmmm. Just seems to lag a bit in the tough stuff. If you know what I mean? Might just be quieter. Doe,s the job all the same.

I've thought of getting one of the Aluminum heads but I reckon the line would wear down to fast doing edges. They'd be great using the head flat but vertical, not sure?

·
Registered
791 Posts
G'day Mick I could imagine the 4banger lagging a little. Your right they just don't Ping out hard enough .
Told ya I could smell spring. Its come early mate.
Today it was hot here. A bit of a shock to the system going from all these bloody frosts we been having to a bit of stinker.
Good beer drinkn weather though.
Give the aluminum heads a go mate the one I got was $25-$30
I reckon you'll be surprised how long ya cord lasts just carry some pre cut bits of line on you.
Fingers crossed for some rain mate.
Have a good one Mick. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
tiedeman,

I had the same issues with my new T260 just this month. I went to Shindaiwa's website, sent them an email. Never heard back from them on the e-mail thread. One week later I had a new catalog to order from along with the operations manual and a Shindaiwa Trimmer Head Guide.

I guess they figured there was no need for any one on one customer relations.

Blades

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Hey Pinnacle, Looks like that rains here, kinda! There sayin rain Friday and Sat. need it, the lawns just aint growing here unless theyve got bore. Just hope the elnino is over and we get a better season this year. Wait and see!

I'll wait till I've worn out the head I've got till I try something new. Too many expences at the momment...........

What do you use to get the blades off your mowers. I had a cheap Impact Wrench from cheaper auto or something that I could plug into my rider or lighter but it stopped working! (no supprise) anyway, now I'm looking at a Makita or a Panasonic. These can be used for drilling etc so there multi purpose but there over $600. There 12v and 15.5v respectively and there cordless so there good out in the field. Any thoughts. I know could use a spanner but man, there on tight.

Warm weather + Friday = :drinkup: :dizzy:
Check ya later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.