• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Bunton Mower Age Help.

Magicexp

LawnSite Member
Bought a Bunton Mower at auction for $25. $30 out the door. They claimed it a Bobcat. Model B36L has a Briggs and stratton I/C 11 HP. Not sure it's original but that was manufactured in 1986. It was really a great buy. Only missing screws to the air cleaner housing. Started right up And one bad belt but I am replacing all of them. And one front wheel has a rim bend but still round and works normal. But replacing those too. Parts have been tough to figure out because parts lists are all in years. It has also had quite of few non OME fixes done from what I can figure to it and was hoping to figure out if I should revert to the OME but looking for photos.

Attachments

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
On the engine shroud there will be some numbers. There is a date code that will tell you when the engine was made. That was the engine that it came with.....Chances are good that the year the engine was made, was the year the machine was made. See the attachment for an explanation of the code.

Good luck in finding oem parts for that......

Attachments

OP
M

Magicexp

LawnSite Member
Guess you missed "the engine was manufactured in 1986 but I don't know if it's the original engine." I can't find any information that says they put Briggs and Stratton engines on them.
On the engine shroud there will be some numbers. There is a date code that will tell you when the engine was made. That was the engine that it came with.....Chances are good that the year the engine was made, was the year the machine was made. See the attachment for an explanation of the code.

Good luck in finding oem parts for that......

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Agree with @Breezmeister
also your not going to find a lot of info if that old, I had a bunton/JD.. glad it’s gone... it was an 89

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Guess you missed "the engine was manufactured in 1986 but I don't know if it's the original engine." I can't find any information that says they put Briggs and Stratton engines on them.

No, didn't miss that, but you didn't say where you got that information.....

Any way, there where two engines available back then. The Kawasaki FB 460, or that POS B&S. Now can I tell you if that was the original "original" engine, no. What I can tell you is that B&S had a problem with the base gasket leaking, and I had to warranty 2 of those engines on the same machine. The third time it happened, we switched over to the Kawasaki.......