1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Bunton walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gil692, Jun 26, 2000.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Hey lawnranger, maybe in the other post, I said some things that were a bit mean spirited and I apoligize for that, because it would appear that you have a condition of sorts. I will delete them right away. You say that mowing lawns helps to calm your nerves and ease your condition, and I think that is great. However, you mention your family in the next breath and mention how important it is for you to save money to send your children to school. This is admirable and I applaud you. However, let's be realistic...NO 21 inch mower will do the job that a quality walk behind will. First of all, the most important thing is BLADE TIP SPEED which tells you how many rpm's your mower blades are turning. Most walk behinds are in the 18,000 to 18,500 range while the smaller 21 inchers are n the 12,000 range. This gives a cleaner, more even cut beyond compare! Second, the obvious gains in productivity speak for themselves. Third, increased productivity with superior quality means you can charge a premium and get LOTS more done in the same ammount of time. Bottom line..those precious children will have a much larger cushion to fall back on when tuition time rolls around. I understand that commercial equipment is harder to operate than homeowner equipment.(which lawn boy most CERTIANLLY is) But , like most things there is a learning curve involved. Come on, man you dropped a PRODUCTIVE commercial machine for a homeowner 21 inch disposable mower anyone can buy at LOWE'S!! A little patience would have carried you through, and made you a lot of money. Instead you took the easy way out. I know you have taken a beating in the last week on this forum, and I apologize for the part I took in it. But most of these guys know their s@#$ and are truly trying to help you. Open your eyes and see the light here! <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lakegastonla

2. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

All of the above is great...this is what makes the world-go-round and this site so great...many different thoughts...You go with that 21&quot; if it makes you happy!!<p>----------<br>John <br>

3. OP
    OP
    gil692

gil692 Guest

I went to the mowersdirect.com web page and the prices were as you say. cheapest I have seen. The mowers look like older scag mowers and the spec sheets show quality. I e-mailed the company and they replied next morning. Shipping is free warranty is one year and 2. and several other things. When delivered it is ready to go. gas it and go. Once run it is YOURS. I am thinking REAL HARD on one of thiers. For the price of a 61 inch scag hydro WB you can BY a 61 inch ZTR painted any color you want. If any body has bought anything from them let me know. thanks<p>----------<br>gil692<br>

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

its all assembled when you get it? what, does the U.P.S guy roll it of a ramp off his truck and push it too your front door?

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha...mowersdirect.com. Don't even waste you're time on those Landscaper's Supply pieces of crap. Heck...did you look at the pictures? They can't even put a pic of the corresponding mower...they have the 61&quot; deck size for all pics. I really hope you're not considering one of those Gil! :)<p>Oh yeah...and Lawn Ranger...Which commandment might you be talking about? Leave GOD out of this forum!<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Scraper

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Gil692, I know some of us have got off the subjuct that you requested, sorry...I couldn't help it. :) I would highly reccomend trying your mower before you buy it. I looked at several mowers before buying mine, didn't care for the style ZTR like the ones at mower direct because the handles are high and require 2 hands to operate all of the time.<p>Both of my Great Dane mowers are mowing machines! Both can be operated with one hand for those times when you have an itch, need to make an adjustment...to your hearing protection, or what ever. The handles on the Scamper (the walkbehind) are very easy on your hands. <p>This photo is of the scamper, both handles are together and simply push forward to go: [​IMG]<p>This photo is the Chariot, note how the handles are in the lap area which is easy on the arms, and this mower flies! Try to test one out, if you live near by come over and try mine. Whitley's here in Monroe sell the new Chariot with 25HP Kohler for $6900.00. [​IMG]<p>Ray<p><p>----------<br>Ray Kirby - Kirby's Cuttin' Edge Lawn Maintenance<br>Home Page, My Truck, Lawn Photos<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Kirby!! What's the going price on the scamper?? It is a nice liiking machine. I think they sell more of the stand-ons but the scamper is nice, too!!

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Lawnranger, any discussion that has to do with commercial Lawncare (and ESPECIALLY the mowers that go along with it) you should not clutter with your 22&quot; &quot;god's gift&quot; lawnmower company Bull$hit. In my opinion your discouraging the guys that have those little 22&quot;'s but want to get bigger and become a real lawn maintenance biz. Thats great that your happy with your old fleet of LAwnboys, BUT YOU SOUND LIKE A FOOL SAYING HOW MUCH A 22&quot; IS BETTER THAN A 48&quot; MOWER ALL CAUSE YOUR NOT MAN ENOUGH TO RUN THE MACHINE!!!!! <p>People have turned your stupid theories upside down time and time again!!<p>You say &quot; the big mowers scalp&quot; Give me your LB for 2 minutes and I'll burn some grass if I pretend I can't run it.<p>I had an exmark that I changes from discharge to bagger in less then 5 seconds (all you have to do is take the bag off!)<p>Thats great that your happy with your &quot;GRASS CUTTIN'&quot; business and your bible studies are obviously going better than mine if God is giving you buisiness tips, but don't bring guys that are eager to learn and take over this business someday down to that level with you. Stop being so ignorant about your stupid little 22&quot; mower<p>And one more thing, if you don't want to expand your business at all, and your not trying to make money, and all you do here is argue (wich defeats the purpose you say you mow for anyway) WHY ARE YOU HERE? Just wondering, not trying to be mean but it seems like your just bringing down spirits. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Just in case Thegr8ONE is here and wondering why I'm here and not mowing, it's raining again, YEA!! (Just kidding GR8ONE!!) And also last night I almost put my eye out running into a limb, spent most of the night in the ER.<p>I talked to Chad Whitley today, he has a demo 48&quot; Scamper, 14 HP KAW, duel hydro, just like new with warranty for $3500.00. A new one is $4000.00. His number is 704-764-3910. FWIW, I do not work for Whitley or Great Dane. ;)<p>Ray<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ok this topic has gone way off,but I will answer the intended question.I have heard good things about bob-cat Ransomes Bunton.They are all about the same mower.I think they are a little pricy$$$$ like others have said.Cutntrim one of the other canadians on this fourm owns a fleet of them.Ask him!He should know.They seem to have a good cut as well.Hope this helps.<p>Now as far as this whole lawnranger thing goes here is my 2 cents.If you are happy pushing a lawn boy great.But I don't think you gave your lesco enought time!It took me close to a month to get on to my scag walk-behind.At times I got really mad becouse I dont like flying onto a 4 lane highway holding onto a walkbehind.But now I never loose control of it and rarely scalp.It doesnt matter what mower you use it will take time to learn to drive it and to learn its limits.Just like a car!Rember the first time your drove?A little tricky eh.And after you have driven for 10 years with no problems and decide to buy a standerd car it is like starting out agian.The car is totally different from an auto.Just like a lesco is totally differnt from a lawnboy!Get what i'm saying???I'm glad you are happy with your lawnboy,but when you say that no one should own one and all of us would be better off with lawnboys.You can understand why we feel we need to reply.<p>I hope all of this helped! <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care