1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

burned off my bermuda...now what

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by thomas.mccalpin, Mar 26, 2008.

1. thomas.mccalpin

thomas.mccalpin LawnSite Member

I recently burned off my bermuda(two weeks ago) due to excessive thatch buildup. I was instructed to do this by a scott's sales person. Now what. I see small thread of grass beginning to emerge and i recently ( yester day sprayed all visible weeds with otho's weed be gone. i have scott turfbuilder with halts. when do i apply? Did i ruin my yard by burning it off. It is approximately 15,000 square feet and I live in NW Alabama. I have no sprinker system but have the ability to water the entire yars daily due to strategically placed spickets. Help me please before I screw something up!!

2. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

what happened to your scott's guy? doesn't he have any grand ideas for you? I thought he was supposed to be a salesman.

3. thomas.mccalpin

thomas.mccalpin LawnSite Member

his estimate was through the roof....decided to do it myself. thanks for your HELP>>>;)

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The great (or bad ) thing about Bermuda is it is almost impossible to kill. It wont start actively growing until the soil temps heat up a bit. If you want to check use a digital meat thermometer you want to be at 62-65 at 1.5"-2" deep. Just hit it hard with the N and if you can have it water 3-4 times a day just to keep the top moist this will encourage tillering/lateral growth. You shouldn't do this until it heats up and not for more that 2-3 weeks tops.

5. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I think your best HELP is someone onsite, like the scott's guy. You're welcome.