Burnout?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jul 31, 2000.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

TS, raise prices and cut back. I'm cutting back to 3-4 days mowing, 1-2 days extra work. Don't drive yourself insane!<p>-TGC

2. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

TGCummings - can you turn down the $$$? Help problem is at its worst. Can't find qualified/capable people who even want to work. Forcing husband/wife to do all the work, mowing and then some. Already raised prices on some customers. Others- can't do that until next year. What all do you do?

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Well, yeah, I got to the point where I had to turn away some money: the lowest paying accounts (by rate). I sent 19 customers a notice at the end of June, informing them of a price increase effective in August. 7 customers took the low road (and one of their *neighbors* called me to tell me what a horrible job their new gardener was doing!), but the other 12 hung tough. <p>That'll free up several hours every week for me to work trimming/hauling, irrigation and spraying/fertilizing when I get my license in September.<p>It would be easy to work a 5-day lawn week (I love the lawns more'n anything), then schedule Saturday and Sunday to do additional work. In fact, that's what I did for the longest time and, yes, I made 20-40% more money doing that. However, I lost family and leisure time and had no time to get things done on a personal level. <p>Yeah, I'll take the pay cut when it comes to that. I expect to make that up in higher prices as the years roll by. Higher quality instead of higher quantity service.<p>The alternative is unthinkable. I may not find my market and may end up with more losses than gains; anything is possible. I may not make it in the biz cutting back and raising rates, but I already know I *won't* make it working 7 days a week, 10 hours a day in the field (though I probably still put enough extra hours in *on* the business to make my work week thus). I've done that route and won't go back.<p>Take a deep breath, relax, and pull back some. Or, if you're really raking it in, spend some solid money on real, quality help. What's the alternative?<p>-TGC

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

ts lawn, One remedy would be for you to find some dependable help, and tell your wanderers sorry, but they'll haveto hit the road. Just make sure that the new help has the impression that you're SERIOUS about business. You can STILL be nice and pleasant to work for. (I've overheard my guys talking about &quot;how cool I was to work for) but they know I only stretch so far on absenteeism. Sometimes, running more part time workers is a little more suitable thanfewer full time. The wayI see it, if you have the work, (and it sounds like you do, then make money with these people! There's nothing wrong with that, it's capitalism. My girlfriend tried asking me once. &quot;Can we afford to hire these other people? My reply was yes, unless you have something against making an additional $28.00 an hour for each one. I arrive at that figure by averaging 35.00 per man hour, and paying around 7.00 per hour in wages. Just be sure you do your homework, and BE ORGANIZED in setting the work roster up. Good Luck!

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Theres a lot of good option mentioned on this thread, loosing accounts, raising prices to deter new business that is not 300% profitable, subcontract some jobs out, etc.<p>I think the most important thing to think about though is your family and your health. If you work 7 days a week, you don't get a chance to spend all that $$ your earning and enjoy your life. But then again I know a lot of people have to work 7 days a week just to support their business'. Thats sad. 70+ hours a week of sweat just to break even. Don't kill yourself if you don't half to.<p>If I had to pick from all the options suggested, I would raise prices and you could sift out the real paying customers that way, or I would sub out some of the work, this way you can still take in a profit.<p>my $.02<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

6. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

There are a ton of things you can do for burnout......I just finished an article entitled &quot;Have you had your pity party yet?&quot; for a magazine....lots of great info on how to do it. E-mail me and I'll send it to you if you'd like it.<p>Bill Phagan<br>bphagan@tampabay.rr.com

7. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I am burned out, usually only once per season, I back grass cutting rig into shop. I hook boat trailer to back of truck. Drive 1.5 hours to lake. Put boat in water. Cruise around lake one time. Drop anchor in middle of lake. Fold out lounge couch. Sleep. No phones, beepers, radios, magazines. Also, leave the watch on shore, go back when you feel like it. This usually will take a half of a day, and feels great. Suggest you try it sometime.

8. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

this is a great idea every one should try it some time .