1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

BUSH HOG BIDS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.L.C. Lawn Service, Aug 17, 2000.

1. T.L.C. Lawn Service

T.L.C. Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I am looking into some bush hog business... Does anyone have an idea what the going rate is for a bush hog. Or do they charge hourly...I have 2 bids coming up tommarrow and was just wondering how much to charge per acre?

2. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

TLC Man:

This probably will make most people laugh, but...

My business is primarily focused on lawn maintenance. However, I do have some customers from time to time ask me to clear cut/brush hog cert properties. They range in size from 5,000 to 86,000 sq ft.

Now don't laugh too much here. I bought a dilapidated old 1963 LI two wheel gravely lawn tractor with a 30" saucer type deck. Man, this thing has only a 6.6 hp Studebaker motor, but it is really geared for torque. The thing devours grass & small trees up to 1 1/4" dia. and shreds to a pouree. In my area, I charge $50/hr (with minimum rate) for this and can clear about 1 acre per hour depending. I would never bid on fields or road sides, but can take care of lot sizes without much fuss.

Does this help?

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have done a few jobs,mostly for realtors who let the lawn turn into a field and need it mowed down.I charge 100-200an acre and clear up to 2" for this price,if there are lots of junk or stones I wont do them.I have ruined 2 front tires and done damage to mant blaeds ,even the breakaways will snap if you hit something right.I figure that into the price if its rough,I use a 32HP ford 1910 4x4with a 5ft woods brushhog.It has a loader,so i can use float to feel for any big rocks or rip out small trees and roots with it,so i can stop before the hog hits it.i can usually do about 1-2 acres an hour with it,depending on how smooth it is and the# of trees to go around.

4. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

Prime Seasons
    You won't make me laugh because I use a 1965 7.6 h.p. Gravely.I use mine for clearing lots and mowing ditches.Mine has a 30''mower and dual wheels,it will go any where.It is an amazing machine to be so old.
    Tony

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a guy for brush work. He charges me $30 per hour. Tw0 hour min. Tractor with 6 foot brush hog.

6. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I try to make about 15+ an acre I use a John Derre 4630 with a 15 foot batwing

LiVe

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

$15 an acre?? I guess $15 is doable for you with a batwing, but I think you can be making more, no ?? We use those JD batwings for our airfields, so I know how fast you can clear an acre out!

8. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

i use 6ft. woods on 27hp. 4wd cub cadet, charge $20. per acre can mow on average 2.5 acres per hour., how ever you need to look at job before quoting price. always a minium as in $50.00. hight of field, terrian, access, and so on

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I did a brush hog job and it is very hard to look at a job and see what amount of time it will take you. I usually bid the job fairly and throw a couple extra bucks on top cause jobs like that your gonna almost always run into problems ( no matter what they might be) DONT GET SCREWED.....Sometimes its more worth not doing the job than losing your shirt.

10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Best to sub out that sort of work. Hourly rate here is $40-
    $65 p/h (AUD). Over here to run a 5' slasher(bush hog) you
    need about 50-55hp with 75hp needed for 6'. I have a 50hp
    Deutz with a 5' Superior slasher. I can flatten stuff up
    to 6" in diameter.Check out Guidos pics. If you sub it out
    to a slashing contractor,he will be able to give you a price
    on the spot,usually. I've said it before,leave this work
    to the guys who do it all the time. It isn't as easy as it looks and a lot of guys here get killed doing this work.

Karl