Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this and don't really know the going rates to charge for mowing with bush hog. I have a 45hp tractor with a 5'cut bush hog. Just starting up my business and have a job for 600 acres of planted pines that need mowed. Would $25 an acre be feasible for the job? Or did I low-ball myself? Thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For legit bush hogging jobs I usually charge around $100 an acre. For that much acreage I'd give a discount and be around $75-$80 an acre. You are definitely low-balling yourself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Large acreage mowing is what we mainly do. Just mowing for 600 acres would generally be bid between 18.00 to 25.00 per acre. Trimming usually goes at 8.00 to 10.00 per acre. 600 acres with a 5ft mower is not feasible. Just to give you a idea I can usually figure each of my 15ft batwings at 50 acres per day generally. Some times more some times less, but 50 acres a day is a good average to go by. So with that it would take one 15ft batwing around 12 days to mow 600 acres of open land. You throw in the rows and rows of pine tree's and you can imagine how much longer it would take. You best bet would be to look at it and see how big of a bushhog you could actually use and try to find one to rent or buy a used one. Im not saying it will be impossible with a 5ft mower, but there is no way you will be able to bid it high enough to make any money and actually get the job. You can make really good money mowing large acreage, but you have to have the right equipment for the job. Getting it done as fast as possible is the key to making money doing it. Mowing 600 acres of pine plantation would be a nightmare. I can tell you that I would bid it higher than what they are most likely willing to pay. Down here in southeast Texas the timber companies burn all the under growth. Ive never seen or heard of them paying somebody to mow it. I wish you luck on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.