1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

bush removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenback, Mar 1, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

what do you guys feel is the best way to remove bushes. besides digging them out with a shovel. i have a few small bushes i want to remove. i forget the name of them but the are very close to the ground(about 12 inches high) but are about 3 feet wide, some sort of pine, very stubborn on coming out. i was thinking about renting something but not quite sure what to go for. thanks

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Junipers perhaps???

Put a chain around them and pull them out with a tractor or your truck. Or try a pick ax, all depends on the situation

3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Greenback
    If they are too stubborn to dig out, I hook a chain onto the back of my truck, put it in 4 wheel drive low and pull them out effortlessly. I can pull out 20 year old, 6ft. taxus all day long at about 4 minutes each with myself and another guy.
    Don't forget to put down plywood.

4. greenback

from L.I.

yeah i was thinking about just pulling them out with my truck, what is the plywood for???

5. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

I do the same, I just prefer to use a tow strap instead of a chain.

6. greenback

from L.I.

i have a bunch of them in a row so i could imagine what the roots are like, probably tangled all together. its hard to explain the bushes but they are spider like. i guess i will go buy some chain and a hook.

7. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

The plywood is to prevent rutting the turf

8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Ok not the normal answer but one way I have done it when I didn't want to have to drive on a lawn. I use 3 4*4's wrap a chain around them so they are TP like. Then use a come a long to pull them straight up. It also works great for fence posts. All depends on the situation. Its alot slower than a truck but not as messy and much less work than digging them up.

9. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Another great idea...but when I first saw the post I thought it had something to do with getting rid of the president.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

andora or seargent juniper? mugo pine? sounds small, pluck out with bare gloved hands , like pulling daisies