bush removal

greenback

LawnSite Member
what do you guys feel is the best way to remove bushes. besides digging them out with a shovel. i have a few small bushes i want to remove. i forget the name of them but the are very close to the ground(about 12 inches high) but are about 3 feet wide, some sort of pine, very stubborn on coming out. i was thinking about renting something but not quite sure what to go for. thanks

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
Junipers perhaps???

Put a chain around them and pull them out with a tractor or your truck. Or try a pick ax, all depends on the situation

DiscoveryLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Greenback
If they are too stubborn to dig out, I hook a chain onto the back of my truck, put it in 4 wheel drive low and pull them out effortlessly. I can pull out 20 year old, 6ft. taxus all day long at about 4 minutes each with myself and another guy.
Don't forget to put down plywood.

OP
G

greenback

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by DiscoveryLawn
Greenback
If they are too stubborn to dig out, I hook a chain onto the back of my truck, put it in 4 wheel drive low and pull them out effortlessly. I can pull out 20 year old, 6ft. taxus all day long at about 4 minutes each with myself and another guy.
Don't forget to put down plywood.
yeah i was thinking about just pulling them out with my truck, what is the plywood for???

OP
G

greenback

LawnSite Member
i have a bunch of them in a row so i could imagine what the roots are like, probably tangled all together. its hard to explain the bushes but they are spider like. i guess i will go buy some chain and a hook.

swim

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok not the normal answer but one way I have done it when I didn't want to have to drive on a lawn. I use 3 4*4's wrap a chain around them so they are TP like. Then use a come a long to pull them straight up. It also works great for fence posts. All depends on the situation. Its alot slower than a truck but not as messy and much less work than digging them up.

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
andora or seargent juniper? mugo pine? sounds small, pluck out with bare gloved hands , like pulling daisies