1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bushes, what kind?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by The Lawn Connection, Dec 19, 2010.

1. The Lawn Connection

The Lawn Connection LawnSite Member

Can anyone suggest a bush that will be low maintenance and survive in about 8" of soil? Customer has 2 flower beds that only have 8" of soil on ( get this) concrete! I want to make sure that it has a fighting chance of survival.

Thanks in advance!

2. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

Doesn’t sound like a good situation to plant shrubs? Do you have any more specifics as to what the customer would like such as: flowering plants, leafy, or evergreen...or what type of area you will need to place the plants: shady, sunny? Based on what you said sedum, hosta, or a maiden grass based on the soil depth. I know these are not shrubs but will grow in shallow soil.

3. The Lawn Connection

Posted via Mobile Device

4. The Lawn Connection

I do know it will be full sun. Evergreen or leafy will work as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

Barberry bush, spirea neon flash (will need to prune), dwarf crape myrtle, Nandina (fire power)... check a couple of these out. Look them up online, if you need more let me know.

6. The Lawn Connection

Thanks bmoorefield! I will check these out tonight and see. I hate the conditions, but I am limited to the defined flower beds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Just about any azalea as their root system generally only runs a few inches down and have no tap-root. They like moist well-drained soils so if the area is going to hold water I would stay away from the azalea though.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

you might want to go in the direction of perennials instead of shrubbery

9. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Mt. Pleasant Ia.

Maybe some ground cover and then plant shrubs in a pot buried part way in the ground.
    VO

10. august

august LawnSite Member

Ground cover.