Business as usual or ???

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
What's your plan? Specifically thinking about things like major equipment purchases and advertising.

I was planning on buying a truck and adding a crew but now thinking about pausing for a week or so and see how things are going.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
We're continuing business as usual. We're spending on advertising, buying a new aerator, and possibly buying a new dump trailer. We just signed a lease on new shop space.

I'm doing 12 estimates tomorrow. That's from calls the last few days.

I think people still need our service. People are still working. They're not getting "less lazy".

I really believe that we're going to be ok.

OP
JFGLN

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
We're continuing business as usual. We're spending on advertising, buying a new aerator, and possibly buying a new dump trailer. We just signed a lease on new shop space.

I'm doing 12 estimates tomorrow. That's from calls the last few days.

I think people still need our service. People are still working. They're not getting "less lazy".

I really believe that we're going to be ok.
I agree. I will probably just continue working on the plan I created during the winter. Things have been right on track up to this point. Might wait a bit on the new truck. We don't quite need it yet.

Which aerator are you buying?

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
I just can't see changing our business plans because of this. Things could get really bad but even then, it will have to pass at some moment.

I figure it like this....if things get so bad that we lose most of our clients and can't afford our shop and equipment, things are REALLY bad everywhere else and frankly I'll be worried about bigger things than missing a payment on a piece of equipment.

We are pretty conservative in our spending though. My business partner is very frugal. My wife works in healthcare and her job pays well and she'll be paid no matter what. It helps insulate my position as a small business guy. Not everyone will be in my same position but plenty of us can cut back in certain areas if we needed to.

jonthepain

LawnSite Bronze Member
Business as usual here. We planned on staying at last year's customer and employee levels this season, to concentrate on streamlining workflow and scheduling and routing.

So everything is pretty casual for a change this spring.

Sure it's possible that everbody cancels and my 401k goes to zero, but I'm optimistic that we will weather this storm, like we have survived the numerous hurricanes that have impacted us here over the last 30+ years.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
For the most part, business as usual. We're just starting with estimates in all reality, it's early.

We will be buying another Windstorm because we have to replace the POS Hurricane we sold. And some handheld stuff.

Gardening company is picking up some new work as well. But they don't need much equipment.

Other than that, I refuse to buy into the panic. I might be one of few, but I am standing by sanity, not following the insanity.