1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Business cards

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slimart01, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. slimart01

    slimart01 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 95

    Hi I have several surrounding businesses that are willing to let me place business cards inside for customers to pickup. I am not licensed yet and I was told awhile ago that you have to have a business license to pass out standard size business cards. does anyone know if this is true?
  2. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Not sure down there, but up here ou don't have to be licensed for squat unless you're applying pesticides. This is te HOME of the fly-by-night lawn service. At every red light, there is a trailer full of mowers. I saw a guy (and his "helper" come into the Wendy's I was eating at the other day. He was wearing sandals. Now THERE is some lazer running protective equipment!
  3. WJW Lawn

    WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,330

    I think as long as youre not using raised print and more than 2 colors, then you should be ok. But seriously...Ive never heard that was illegal.
  4. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    You have to have a business license to do business. If you are passing out fliers, cards, or doing any form of advertising it would be wise to have a business license. You will need it when you cut your first lawn anyway
  5. Equinox Lightscapes

    Equinox Lightscapes LawnSite Member
    from CT
    Messages: 15

    Laws vary from state to state, sometimes even town to town. I would cover my a$$ and get a license. I could almost bet you would find some wack-o that would report you for solicitation, which is illegal in some communities without a permit.
  6. BBN

    BBN LawnSite Member
    Messages: 133

    is getting a business license the same as getting a "DBA" at the county clerk's ofice?
  7. Equinox Lightscapes

    Equinox Lightscapes LawnSite Member
    from CT
    Messages: 15

    A DBA is nothing like a license.
    If you register DBA there are two other problems you may be creating:

    1. You may need to file a "Trade Name Certificate" in every town you do business since you are not registered with the state (again laws vary).

    2. As a DBA all your personal liabilities are tied in directly to the business (you screw up and you could loose everything).

    You be the judge depending on your environment. IMHO I would advise everyone to get licensed. LLC, S-Corp., Corp., whatever, you have to cover your a$$. Unfotunately, some people are just looking for someone to sue.
  8. Let-it-mow!

    Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member
    Messages: 91

    Whether you need a license or if one even exists vary's from place to place.

    Either way...put your cards everywhere you can right now. And then call the local clerk's office and see if you need one and get it if you do.
  9. slimart01

    slimart01 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 95

    Thank you all for your advice but as of this morning I am officially licensed. I had no idea how easy it was. Just another way for the gov. to get money out of you I guess. I suggest everyone get one if neccessary. Thanks again
  10. lawn guy1350

    lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 214

    where do you get a license?

Share This Page