• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Business Expenses

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm running through to calculate a new rate for mowing and I feel like I am missing something but can't figure out what. I can't get to my old records because they are all in storage. I don't need amounts just expense items here is what I have come up with so far.

Cost of:
Truck
Trailer
Mowers
Trimmers
Blowers
Edgers
Misc small Equip
Insurance
Taxes
Repairs
Licences
Gas and Oil
Marketing
Labor
Misc supplies

And that is all I can think of at the moment I know I am missing something but all I keep getting is brain farts. Thanks for the input.

drmiller100

LawnSite Senior Member
maintenance of all equipment.
profit
dump fees
payroll taxes

some expenses are fixed, some variable.

fixed costs happen whether you do any business or not. Insurance is an example. You have to have insurance, and it doesn't matter whether you have 1 customer or 3000, costs is the same.
Equpment payments are probably your biggest fixed costs.

variable costs include things expenses that happen as a function fo doing work. Fuel is a great example. the more you mow, the more fuel expenses.

OP
L

lsylvain

LawnSite Senior Member
maintenance of all equipment.
profit
dump fees
payroll taxes

some expenses are fixed, some variable.

fixed costs happen whether you do any business or not. Insurance is an example. You have to have insurance, and it doesn't matter whether you have 1 customer or 3000, costs is the same.
Equpment payments are probably your biggest fixed costs.

variable costs include things expenses that happen as a function fo doing work. Fuel is a great example. the more you mow, the more fuel expenses.
Maintainance I have lumped into repairs since maintainance is just fixing something that hasn't broke yet. lol

PR taxes and workmans comp I have lumped in with labor.

I thought of dump fees but since I'm not going to do any baging I'm not going to use that in my overhead rate for mowing. I'm going to add that in on a job by job basis.

thanks,

anything else I'm missing? I still feel like there is something?

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Well to name a few...

Bank Service Charges
Depreciation Expense on Equipment
New Equipment Expense
Interest Expense
Supplies
Licenses and Permits
Office Supplies
Professional Fees
Rent
Telephone
Utilities

and others...

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
Your question seems strange. The profile shows you have been in business for seven years. After seven years of developing expenses for tax filing, why is the question being posed now? I admit the first couple of years, some expenses might get overlooked when keeping records. However, after seven years, I would think the list would be complete.

What is missing in the picture?