business license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Scenery Lawn Care, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. Scenery Lawn Care

    Scenery Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    Alright im goin get my license tomarrow, and put some advertisement in the paper. i am starting my business in a differnt city because currently our house is up on the market and once it sells we are moving there. anyway back on topic i will be doing most of my business in one city, but there are two other ones just a few miles away that my advertisemnt will get to. so i called the city and they said i had to get a license in all the citys. but i also talked to a few business and they said they dont worry about it since there out the city they have the license in. so for all you that go from town to town what did u do, get like 3 or 4 business liecense, or just do the one and call it good. thanks!
  2. Scenery Lawn Care

    Scenery Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    any ideas? ill be leaving early in the morn to get down there and do all my stuff.
  3. edgeman2003

    edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md
    Messages: 188

    I'm in Maryland, they told me I cant get a business license because I dont sell a product just offer a service. All I had to do is register with the state that I'm in. I'm a sole pro , one man team. LLC and Inc might be different. They told me I don't collect sales tax either due to not selling any products.
  4. Ravenwood Landscaping

    Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 117

    You will need your MHIC license if you do anything other than mow on a residential property. If you're sticking to mowing only or commercial properties, then you're go to go.
  5. Enzo

    Enzo LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    I got my LLC the other week for the state of CT and I am good to mow anywhere in the state.
  6. kleankutslawn

    kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,185

    i would just get whatever they told you that you need to be on the safe side.
  7. ffemtmcd

    ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 532

    Check the "kansas city" thread and ask the question there. I used to work for a guy that had lic. in different cities - and charged different taxes too.
  8. tompkinslawn

    tompkinslawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    i am just starting out, only have five accounts, but what in the world is a 'MHIC'?
  9. Reliable Lawn Care

    Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 136

    About the same for me, except if I apply say, " Grub Control", I have to tax it, but regular fert, I do not.
  10. Albemarle Lawn

    Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,544

    OK its a loaded question.

    If it were actually a license, you would have to show proficiency. Since you don't have to show proficiency to get the license, it is not a license.

    So what is it?

    It's a tax.

    Sort of like a fishing license. You don't have to show proficiency in fishing to get it.

    So screw all the license B.S. If you really need it, someone will let you know eventually.

Share This Page