Business Licenses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. mtdman

    mtdman LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,143

    Other than fert licenses and tax licenses, what are the state licenses you have to have to operate, around the country? Michigan requires both the sales tax (except for services provided) and fert license. Just curious to see what other states do.


  2. NCSULandscaper

    NCSULandscaper Banned
    Messages: 1,557

    I dont have a business license because i dont need one in this county. I have all other required licenses however.
  3. o-so-n-so

    o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama
    Messages: 1,218

    Alabama........I have a state license, a city license for each city that work is performed. Cannot spray ANY chemicals without state applicator certification (ornamental and turf pest applicator), cannot plant a seed or a plant without Landscape certification.

    With me doing stump grinding and moving dirt, I have to have contractor license. Also have to have proper tag on my truck for the weight of trailer loaded. Regular tag is illegal.

    This is why I can't work as cheep as the guy that is illegal and I always make a point of informing a new customer that I am Licensed and Insured for there protection. Some customers don't care but the quality customer in most cases do care.
  4. Rex Mann

    Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 621

    Arizona you have to pass a two tests. A trade test and a management test. Then you have to have a tax bond, a bond for residential work and a bond for commercial work. Then prove you have GL insurance. And, you have to renew your license every 2 years. (read as you have to pay a fee to keep your license). The fee can be from 500 and up.



Share This Page