1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

business name registration in FLA

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrbray101, Dec 31, 2005.

1. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been searching around the site for the last year or so and enjoy reading everyone elses posts. I worked for someone in town for about a year while attending school at Uf and now decided to start my own business. I started last year and have a few residentials and 3 sonic drive ins as well. I was good friends with the area manager so he wanted me to take care of the three stores. I dont really have a "business name" now, I got my occupational license and got 500,000 liability insurance. If I use my actual name, "Brandon Ray" or "Ray" in a business name is it true I do not need to register it and can just use my social for taxes? For example, Ray Lawn Care or something along those lines. I am still a little unsure on this. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi, In order to not register for a fictitious name, which is only 50.00 (sunbiz.org) and it is good for five years, you have to have your full name in the business name. I started out that way and then changed it.