1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Business Name

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mjadams122, Jun 26, 2020.

?

Which business description sounds the most professional?

1. Lawn Maintenance

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Lawn Services

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Lawn Solutions

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Lawn Care

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. mjadams122

mjadams122 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Just looking for your guys opinion , thanks

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Why not use them all?

Chicago lawn care maintenance service solutions.

3. sll408

sll408 LawnSite Member

What exactly are you doing? Just mowing?

4. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

I question whether the focus on "Lawn" is wise. Even if you have no plan for ever doing anything other than lawn maintenance, service, solutions, or care, that might change. You might want to do power washing, snow plowing, clean up crime scenes or after fires, or any number of things. Having an established brand that could adapt to other types of work could be beneficial.

For example, when I need excavation work beyond my capabilities I call on a guy who operates under the name Leonard's Auto Repair. For as long as I have known him he has been exclusively an excavating contractor, but somewhere in his distant past must have had an auto repair shop. He probably slowly shifted from one trade to another and now finds himself stuck with the unfortunate business name.

zlandman likes this.
  5. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I didn't know you couldn't change your name or even add a DBA to your old name if you so choose.

6. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Gold Member

In Meatchicken you can, we did.

7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I'm sure it's an option in every state.

zlandman likes this.
  8. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

Of course one can make such a change, but when a brand has been established over a period of years it may be difficult to give up that identity. And a person may think that they are just taking a one time job out of their origininal line of business, but then take a couple more, and in a few years wake up to realize that the original business is just a minor sideline.

It is not unusual for corporations to change their names, possibly due to mergers, aquisitions, confusion with competing business names. One example would be Exxon which evolved from what had been Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.

My point is just that when starting out and selecting a business name it should be considered whether to indicate a specific line of work in the name rather than a more generic name. Those who operate as a mobile business are more likely to shift their focus than would someone operating as a brick and mortar business. The value of a business identity and the goodwill attached to it can be significant, possibly the most valuable asset the business has.

JFGLN likes this.
  9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

My original name had "landscaping " in it. Soooo many people asked me to do landscaping which I've gotten out of because I'm over the hard labor. Landscaping requests have dropped significantly as a result of dropping the word.
    :clapping:

Yep, any business can register a DBA as far as i know.