1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

business questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wclement7, May 1, 2006.

  1. wclement7

    wclement7 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    hello all! not really new here, just not a poster, i just read alot since last year. but on to my question. i am really fixed on starting my own lawn business. i love it! mowing is great. got me my little craftsman rider, my deere trimmer, mtd pusher and this year my 6x12 enclosed trailer pulled by my little ranger. i do between 5-10 yards a week depending on the weather, for one guy who owns rentals. And i also do other lawns for myself. Now if i were to start advertising on my trailer and in flyers and such with a certain name woudl it have to be registered and my company insured? i am 17 and tight on the money at the moment with a new trailer. but how much would that be if i would have to? and thanks for your help everyone! i love this forum!
  2. StBalor

    StBalor LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 798

    You will have to check your state laws. Here in Maryland you do not have to have gl insurance. But in some states you do. To register my company name was only 25.00
  3. LindblomRJ

    LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,570

    If you are running your business other than you own you have to file a fictitus name filing. Make sure you have sales/use tax license. Every business needs one. If you have one life is a lot easier when the tax man comes. Also keep reciepts when the audit you.

    Here are some links that might help you out with further questions. What part of SD are you from?

    http://www.sdsos.gov/ (Fictitus name filing, or incorperation)
    www.state.sd.us/drr/businesstax/bustax.htm (Sales and use tax license)

Share This Page