Business Ranking in Nearby City

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by LPSiowa, Mar 15, 2019.

1. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

Hey y'all,

Kinda a convoluted situation I've got here.

I have a Google business page, I have a website, I have a Facebook page, I have all that happiness. There are a few more places I need to get my name out there, but so far I'd say I've got the major bases covered.

I live in a smallish town of roughly 2,000. Lot of higher end homes in the community. I'm really hoping to get a strong presence here in town and lock down my town as my own. Home turf so to speak.

When you Google anything related to my business while in my town, or in regards to it boom there I am.

However, 13 miles away, there is the major city area of significantly more people. With suburbs around it.

Do y'all have any idea how to get my business to show up there when searches are made? Because as it is now, I don't show up.

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Not easily.

But the basics, to start: make sure your Google My Business (GMB) listing does not show your address, but instead shows a service area. The larger area should be included in your service area.

Then you need to convince Google that you should show up for searches in those area. Your website should include information that clearly identifies your service area. Other content should specifically mention areas you work in and the services you provide there.

Larger markets contain more companies, many of whom likely have stronger online presences- so it may take time to gain visibility. You will need a quality website (from an SEO point of view), some decent links, and time.

I would also suggest using the "Posts" function in GMB to target those areas. And if you are impatient, use Adwords.

LPSiowa and tonygreek like this.
  3. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

My website isn't the best, but it's a work in progress. But it specifically mentions service areas I believe twice. My Google Business has a defined service area.

Would you be willing to take a look at my website and give some feedback?

4. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Yeah, if you post it here there are several members that will likely give feedback.

LPSiowa likes this.
  5. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

Edit: OP just registered his domain name and created his site in the last 24 hours. If you're going to take the time to offer advice, you'll want to know that before you start typing.

- Your site resolves to both www. and no-www. Pick one because it does matter.

- Upgrade your site from http to https. The browsers want you to and it losing the site "not secure" warning will help build trust with visitors and contact form filler outers.

- Create a Google Search Console account (formerly Webmaster Tools). Submit your site and see if you have any issues.

- The content, and localized-content, is very, very thin. Give Google something to chew on.

- Your home page has no location info. The area code in your phone number isn't going to cut it.

- Get a phone number up high, preferably in the top banner.

- Get your logo in the banner.

- Create service pages. One, general page isn't going to cut it. If you do "Design & Install", I'm sure you can do better than 3 brief sentences. Again, you want to feed the search engines.

- Write your own content. Your intro sentences can be found on approximately 103 sites.

- You're missing basic SEO. For example, your home page title tag isn't giving the search engines any context of what or where you are. Same goes for all your page title tags. You could just as easily be selling shoe repair. ;)

Google's SEO Guide
    Moz Beginner's Guide to SEO
    - With a quick glance, I don't see that Google and Bing even know you exist. I don't see your site indexed and your phone number only returns a facebook post. Remember that Google Search Console account you need to set up? You can submit your site for indexing from there.

Related to that, I see that your Google My Business page links to your Facebook page. You'll want to fix that.

And now I see you just registered your domain yesterday. That's info that would have been reeeeeally helpful for us to know because it's a very easy answer to what much of your original post pertains to.

- Increase your font size. Some are borderline impossible to read, especially when using gray text on a colored background. Your target demo will thank you for it.

- Re: backgrounds and fonts, your site looks far better on mobile than desktop.

- Be shooting photos constantly so that you can replace those stock/"borrowed" photos. Real photos will help increase trust, so get some action shots or branding (such as via a truck or people) into the photos.

For example, the 2 giant photos that great us are clearly both not yours. The one on the right could be, but since the one on the left isn't, I, as a prospect, don't buy what you're trying to sell me.

Follow up questions or clarifications, holla.

7. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

Thank you so much for the help. And sorry for not mentioning that it was brand spankin new haha!

I've been struggling trying to find that balance between mobile and desktop. I'm glad that it looks good on mobile because something like 80% of most internet traffic is on mobile devices now.

Regarding some of the odd linking, it takes a day or 3 for changes to show up on Google, etc. I'm working on it!

As far as HTTPS goes, it isn't offered by my host yet, however the second it is offered it will be converted absolutely.

Also, the link you posted for www vs no-www said that resolving to both is better because you don't know what your potential client will type in.

I'm also concerned if it looks like a total amateur-hour site or if it looks decent.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

That number is too high by about 20%.

Re: your market, I know it well enough and I have a hunch you'll find your analytics tells you you're at approximately half that.

ipage isn't the best host, but I'd be stunned if they didn't offer the ability to install an SSL certificate. They're all about the profit.

What I mean is that when I go to your site, www works, and the site remains www. When I go no-www, it also works and the site remains no-www. That's two different sites in the search engines eyes.

If Google had you indexed, you'd see two sets of results. You want one set of results. I'd reread the entire piece again. Also, this: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/44231?hl=en

9. LPSiowa

LPSiowa LawnSite Member

I'm hosting though domain(dot)com

Well that's confusing, because it says there is an SSL certificate for the site. Is there more to having https than that?

Thank you again for taking the time to help me. I'm familiar to the site building thing and I can make it look pretty, but getting into the hidden meat and potatoes of SEO is completely new to me. So your knowledge is invaluable to me right now.

10. Lawnline

Lawnline LawnSite Member

The info Tony is giving you is great and valid, definitely follow all of it. However, you're attempting to rank a brand new website in a bigger city 13 miles away with more competition for a company with no physical location there.

What Tony gave you is the very basics and the tip of the iceberg. If there is any decent level of competition in this city, you're in for a very long journey. You'll learn how deep this rabbit hole goes (should have taken the blue pill)!

I'd take Ben's advice this spring and do Google Ads to start gaining customers in that city. However, that's a very deep rabbit hole itself!

LPSiowa and tonygreek like this.