Business Start up/ Insurance

gageawebb

LawnSite Member
So,

I recently started a lawn care business this year, and have around fifteen or so residential clients. With that being said, I am trying to get my business out there more and acquire more properties. My old man used to be a contractor, and he told me insurance used to be really expensive and at this moment I'm not really looking to dip too far into my profits to try and afford insurance. What is liability insurance running you guys these days? It is just me on the crew, which I don't mind as of right now because I do not have to worry about workers comp and get to keep most of my profit. I guess I am just trying to get the best advice from people who have been doing it longer than I have. I wanted to see if you guys recommend me staying residential to next season or if I should look into maybe bidding on a couple properties? I also do custom flower bed installations, so even if the season was to end for mowing and everything, I could always put in a bed of kale/pansies/violas at a business center and do maintenance on the property to keep me busy through the offseason.

Let me know what y'all think, thanks

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
GC liability runs me about $800 a year. It will vary widely from state to state. Stick to residential for now. If someone calls about commercial bid on it but those only come after you have some exposure. I'm 5 years in, work solo and pass on commercial work.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm at $1800 a year for $1mil GL but that includes chemical apps and I have employees.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Mine is $800, you will want insurance as your exposure is significantly greater. Your insurer may not insure your vehicle used for commercial purposes.

most commercial work will require your COI ( certificate of insurance) on file. Employees? Read the threads as you progress!

Top Forums