1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Busted Glass Door

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by John29207, May 18, 2020.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

A few years back had a guy that didn't want to pay extra for anything then talked one of my guys into knocking the weeds down in the beds next to the house. Of course, he caught the wire to the AC unit.

Idiot had a royal conniption that we broke the wire that was covered by 2 feet of weeds.

On the one hand, you want to do a little extra for your customers, on the other you get screwed when doing so. We gave this guy a partial refund for the remainder of the season and fired him. I don't recall if it was for this specific instance or everything combined, but it just wasn't worth it.

2. UpstateServices

UpstateServices LawnSite Member

We just busted a suburban back window, that was $263 repaired and we just paid it. Over and done with in 24 hours, no insurance headache

3. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

So, she lied. Not in your shoes, but I'm thinking replace the glass and fire the customer?

4. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

As in I'm not in your shoes.

5. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember this however you decide to go about things it sounds like its a lesson for your employee. Your employee is much more valuable than this customer. It doesnt sound like you have any ill-will towards your employee which is good. lessons learned are a part of growth.

Cam15, MowDaddy, John29207 and 3 others like this.
  6. Lawn Choppers

Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

I’ve hit 4 or 5 storm doors over the years. If they’re Laren or Pella you can get the replacement glass with out buying the whole door at Lowes. I pay anywhere from 60-150 dollars and put them in myself. If I can pay for something and do it myself instaed of getting a hit on my insurance then I do it . I have hit a golf ball through a huge plate glass window before which cost 3200.00 and I did use my insurance on that.

7. jetson

jetson LawnSite Member

Not sure what I’ve decided to do. Most of the time the storm door glass is available at a local hardware store a la Home Depot or Lowe’s. The storm door glass can be replaced in about 5 mins in most common doors as they are held Parts which are interchangeable for screen doors. They pop out and pop in. I’ve replaced maybe 3/4 over the last 10 years and the most I ever spent was 100.00 u can call the manufacturer if u can’t get the door at Home Depot Lowe’s and they will typically ship it to you as the replacement. Calling a glass company should be ur only option once Uve exhausted all other options as the 300 dollars to replace it is costing u 200 dollars for labor which takes all of 5 mins for urself to do. I’ve broken home windows before and the manufacturer would come out and replace them for pretty much next to nothing..

8. grigs04

grigs04 LawnSite Member

Don’t turn that it to your insurance. It won’t cost much. You don’t want a claim on your insurance in less you have to. It looks bad and they will use that against you. Anything under a grand I would just pay out of pocket and do it fast so you don’t piss off customer. Plus if you can find a glass company close buy. You can take door off and they will install glass for you. Should cost less than $200

9. lawn fx (effects)

lawn fx (effects) LawnSite Member

I usually take the door with me and have the glass replaced. No headaches and questions from insurance and it’s much quicker. It’s an occupational hazard that’s very hard to avoid. Unfortunately it probably won’t be your last, keep on smiling the grass is getting green

John29207 and zlandman like this.
  10. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of insurance companies do you all have? My most recent one entailed 1 phone call to my agent and the window was fixed that day. No change in rate. If I broke a bunch of them I could see an issue.
    Last year one of my trees (dead) totaled my neighbors car when it fell. (I had forgotten about it). Insurance paid like $5500 and no rate adjustment there either.

John29207 likes this.