Buy me a dump truck

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
I need to get a dump truck. I have weighed dump trailers and have decided on a dump truck.

For small excavation jobs we have 1-2 days or 2-6 loads a week where we are removing a few tonnes of material, we have a small 2 tonne excavator for this.
We are needing small 1-3 yard deliveries probably once a day or 4-8 times a week.

We get the small deliveries for cheap at $50-75, so while we won’t make money on the actual deliveries as much as covering overhead. But our bread and butter is 2-10k jobs in and out in a couple days, so many times we can’t order material until we know we are moving to the next job and then we might wait 4 hours or 36 hours, or if we run out of something we have people standing around.

The difficult decision is deciding on a budget and if new or used is the way to go. I can get a f600 or isuzu type truck new and outfitted for about 100k Canadian dollars. The used trucks look to be in the 100-250k mile range, 2005-2017 and 20k-60k. I don’t know a lot about vehicles so spending 50k on a used lemon is very worrisome to me. I could pay cash for something like this fine, but don’t really want a money pit.

mostly I would just appreciate if anyone who was in my shoes, 500-1M revenue and doing mostly small residential landscaping jobs in small tight lots, steep hills etc where dump trailers are more hassle a lot of the time. What did you buy and did you have regrets, new or used, make and model etc.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Interested in this as well. We're strongly considering a smallish dump truck as well. Originally we were leaning towards another dump trailer but decided a dump truck would be more ideal. We'd be looking more in the $25k-45k range though.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
We don't need to spend 100k, but with the used truck market it seems like financially I would still get 5-10 years out of a new or newer truck and still recover quite a lot of the purchase price if we wanted to sell or upgrade.

SilverPine

LawnSite Member
We went from dump truck to dump trailer. A 5 and 7 ton. We got rid of the dump truck due to rot. While the dump trailers work great most of the time, it's good to have a dump truck ready. The new gmc 5500 caught my eye. Same with the international CV series.

OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
Thats why I was worried about the older trucks, though we don't get rot so bad on Vancouver Island it would be nice to know what the rough fixed costs are for the first few years at least.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I need to get a dump truck. I have weighed dump trailers and have decided on a dump truck.

For small excavation jobs we have 1-2 days or 2-6 loads a week where we are removing a few tonnes of material, we have a small 2 tonne excavator for this.
We are needing small 1-3 yard deliveries probably once a day or 4-8 times a week.

We get the small deliveries for cheap at $50-75, so while we won’t make money on the actual deliveries as much as covering overhead. But our bread and butter is 2-10k jobs in and out in a couple days, so many times we can’t order material until we know we are moving to the next job and then we might wait 4 hours or 36 hours, or if we run out of something we have people standing around.

The difficult decision is deciding on a budget and if new or used is the way to go. I can get a f600 or isuzu type truck new and outfitted for about 100k Canadian dollars. The used trucks look to be in the 100-250k mile range, 2005-2017 and 20k-60k. I don’t know a lot about vehicles so spending 50k on a used lemon is very worrisome to me. I could pay cash for something like this fine, but don’t really want a money pit.

mostly I would just appreciate if anyone who was in my shoes, 500-1M revenue and doing mostly small residential landscaping jobs in small tight lots, steep hills etc where dump trailers are more hassle a lot of the time. What did you buy and did you have regrets, new or used, make and model etc.
This is my “opinion” on small to medium duty dump trucks
They are most often not driven by professionals or people who know anything in general about trucks, capacity, safe operation etc

there for it’s highly likely they have been overloaded and overused most of their lifespan
It’s too common for blokes to put in what “fits” vs what is legal (and what it’s designed for)
That means the wear and tear is far accelerated beyond just mere mileage like a pickup or car you’re used to.

the opposite would be true if you’re finding something from a fema or government/state/mini coal auction
It’s far more likely to find these trucks with issues like dry rotted tires or leaking seals due to lack of use, than the otter spectrum of over use/abuse.

I would pass on used dumps from other contractors unless you have you’re own shop/mechanics

va2nta

LawnSite Member
Do yo need a F600? we use F450 Super Duty in 3 and 6 pack.. we carry easily 8-10 yard cubic of mulch while pulling a trailer with 3 w-b mowers and equipment.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
Well if I’m already spending that much money something that can legally carry at least 3 yards heavy material would be nice. I don’t know the specs for f450

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Mitty87

You are in the land of Hino trucks. Why not a Hino 195 or 155? You should be able to barter a rocking deal on them anytime now as Hino just this year came out with new models on the same platform and size.
You Canadiens make the Hino's we buy here in the USA.

Take a look at them seriously.

Top Forums