1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

buying 1st ztr

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Doodyboy, May 20, 2005.

1. Doodyboy

Doodyboy LawnSite Member

I have about 3 acres of my own to cut and am looking at buying a Hustler Super Mini Z with the 24hp Honda. I am a little concerned about the sealed blade spindle bearings. I always thought the bearings with grease fittings were better. Would appreciate comments on whether these bearings will hold up. Also any comments on the Hustlers in general. I was going to buy it tomorrow but am having second thoughts, mainly because of the spindle bearings and the high speed of the blade. I looked at the Skag and it looks just too heavy and bulky but it may last better. I know with cutting just 3 acres any ztr should last as long as me. (I'm 65)

2. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

I have a super mini z with the 24 Honda and its a great machine. I wouldn't worry about the spindle bearings if I were you, as a homeowner you're not going to stress them at all. Everything on this mower is overbuilt.

3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Hustler and Exmark both have sealed spindle bearings. It eliminates potential over-greasing and prevents contaminants from entering into the housing assembly. I know Exmark spindles have a 3-year warranty (not sure of Hustler's warranty). I'm sure they have both done plenty of research/testing prior. :waving:

4. Doodyboy

Doodyboy LawnSite Member

Thanks to you both for the replys. You know how it is when you decide to spend some big bucks on a mower. You start second guessing whether you are making a good decision or not. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning.