Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, My name is Chris and I need some advice for purchasing a new lawn/ garden tractor. I live in Arizona and have about 1/2 acre of lawn to take care of. I've been looking to buy a new lawn mower for some time now and just needed some advice on the subject.

I have a budget though, about $2500. I've only been looking at Craftsman and John Deere, but would be open to any advice that would help me on my quest to "the perfect lawn". I also have a sprinkler system that I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago to make it look good. So if you have any advice on the make/model for the job please post it. I'm very happy I stumbled upon this gem. Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Chris, I don't think you will get a Deere within your budget. Since you are only mowing a small area, you may be better off with a Craftsman or something simular. You can get one with all the fancy attachments for what you are looking to spend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I'm pretty much thinking about Metro. Thanks for your post though, I like John Deere, but your exactly right, I could get a high end Craftsman with all the attachments for the price. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
Craftsman 27.0 hp 54 in Deck Garden Tractor

Sears item #07127634000
Mfr. model #27634 $2,499.99
Reg. $2,899.99
Save $400.00
Sale ends 07/30/05

Craftsman 26.0 hp 48 in. Deck Yard Tractor

Sears item #07127590000
Mfr. model #27590 $2,099.99
Reg. $2,299.99
Save $200.00
Sale ends 07/23/05

That is from the website. you may want to check out www.sears.com or go by a store and see what all they have.

I got mine 3 years ago, has 25 Kohler, 50" deck, garden tractor, 3hi/3lo trans for just over 2000.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you should just get a craftsman i have one and it works great and they are pretty cheap

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just can't see myself gettin a crapsman. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you can't see yourself getting a Craftsman, then don't. If you have the need for something bigger, faster, whatever, then by all means buy that machine for yourself. Some people just do not NEED to spend several thousand dollars for a machine to cut a few yards with.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I would go buy yourself a 36" exmark metro walkbehind. They can be had for $2500. You get a commerical machine and sever neighbor envy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm returning the GT5000 that I bought about 2 weeks ago. It had to big of a turning radius for me to manuver around my yard with. It worked great though!! But I bought a JD L120 for about $400 less. The 27" turning radius on the GT5K was just to large, but I get all my money back. I am very happy with my JD120 and my neighbor is envious. And that fancy-smachy purty green paint job.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good luck with your Depot mower.

I agree about the turning radius. I have no idea why they have it set up that way on the Craftsman. It used to not be that way. It sure isn't on mine. If it were, I would have not gotten it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't purchase it at the depot, I got it at a Deere dealership. Thanks though. I'm sure I will have many good years with it. Arizona Machinery LLC in Chandler. I'm very happy with it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
MowingInAZ said:
I didn't purchase it at the depot, I got it at a Deere dealership. Thanks though. I'm sure I will have many good years with it. Arizona Machinery LLC in Chandler. I'm very happy with it. Thanks
Be glad you got it at a dealer, it'll help your case if you happen to need warranty work. However, the dealers absolutely HATE the HD line of JD's because it cuts into their sales, and they still don't get any more $$$ for them on warranty work. I had a nice in depth discussion a little while back with my local JD dealer (family friends as well) about their thoughts on the 'Depot line.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know we wouldnt touch the HD mowers when I was at Deere back in Louisiana.

i know the dealer out there in Az. I was in there a few years back when i was out in phoenix. real nice people.

i had another call in complaint today about the turning radius of the new gt's we sell. I still cannot figure what it is they are trying to do with that being that way. i went to the store over the weekend and took one out in the parking lot and i hated it. i have to wonder of it is not some ploy to get people to buy the simplicity ztr we sell...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
rednecknaustin said:
i had another call in complaint today about the turning radius of the new gt's we sell. I still cannot figure what it is they are trying to do with that being that way. i went to the store over the weekend and took one out in the parking lot and i hated it. i have to wonder of it is not some ploy to get people to buy the simplicity ztr we sell...
What is happening is all these people who have never really paid any attention to mowers are seeing all these pro-mow outfits with ZTR's and gawking at their steering ability and then going to a store expecting to find one for the same price and then getting dissappointed when they find out that it won't. People's expectations are too high of homeowner's units.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.