buying a used garden tractor / riding mower

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
say you were looking for an up to 20 year old or so garden tractor and only wanted it for mowing lawns , some which might be say a few acres of 12'' tall grass . but didnt care about how fast you'd get done , just wanted the power to deal with thick turf (flat terrain) in a well built machine . plus didnt want to spend over $1000 . im wondering which models & brands you'd be looking at on craiglist and such ?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
If you could find a JD 240, 260, or 265 you'd be in that range and have a very heavy duty built tractor and a good engine (providing it has been taken care of) . A JD 318 in good shape would also be great. All could be had with either 46 or 50 inch decks. I have owned a 318 and two 240's and I still have a 240. They were built much heavier than most GT's made now and are the fore runners of the JD X500 series. A Simplicity Landlord or Sovereign would also be in the range and they are very good tractors too, especially the Sovereign. MY 240 that I bought at a JD dealership south of Battlecreek for just under 1k several years ago, and it came with a powerflo bagger system as well.-

100_1139.jpg

100_1140.jpg

OP
redmax fan

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
If you could find a JD 240, 260, or 265 you'd be in that range and have a very heavy duty built tractor and a good engine (providing it has been taken care of) . A JD 318 in good shape would also be great. All could be had with either 46 or 50 inch decks. I have owned a 318 and two 240's and I still have a 240. They were built much heavier than most GT's made now and are the fore runners of the JD X500 series. A Simplicity Landlord or Sovereign would also be in the range and they are very good tractors too, especially the Sovereign. MY 240 that I bought at a JD dealership south of Battlecreek for just under 1k several years ago, and it came with a powerflo bagger system as well.-

View attachment 388725

View attachment 388726
thanx ridin , i really appreciate your advice and all the advice you've helped everybody with here at the site all these years !

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
+2 on the Simplicity's.

I especially love the Sunstar versions because they are overbuilt tanks and super comfortable. The 60" deck is odd in that the blade nearest the chute is counter rotating but somehow it cuts well and also stripes great with the full width rollers on the back of the deck. Only downside is max height is ~3.5" high.

This Sunstar 20 GTH has 680 hrs on it and was purchased for $800:

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
They're all powered by the same Kohlers or kawasaki's

Green adds to the price too.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
They're all powered by the same Kohlers or kawasaki's

Green adds to the price too.

No, not really. Here, a new Simplicity will (or would have) run you more by quite a bit than the comparative model of JD no matter the age. I priced many of them in the past from both brands when new and have done so not too long ago. Used, it's a wash. In the JD's favor, used implements are much easier to find for JD than for Simplicity.

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
when it comes to parts support-the deere wins hands down. that's important for buying a used machine. where do you get simplicity parts ? never seen a dealer for them ever. j d is everywhere.