1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

buying a used garden tractor / riding mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by redmax fan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Silver Member

say you were looking for an up to 20 year old or so garden tractor and only wanted it for mowing lawns , some which might be say a few acres of 12'' tall grass . but didnt care about how fast you'd get done , just wanted the power to deal with thick turf (flat terrain) in a well built machine . plus didnt want to spend over $1000 . im wondering which models & brands you'd be looking at on craiglist and such ?

hort101 likes this.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If you could find a JD 240, 260, or 265 you'd be in that range and have a very heavy duty built tractor and a good engine (providing it has been taken care of) . A JD 318 in good shape would also be great. All could be had with either 46 or 50 inch decks. I have owned a 318 and two 240's and I still have a 240. They were built much heavier than most GT's made now and are the fore runners of the JD X500 series. A Simplicity Landlord or Sovereign would also be in the range and they are very good tractors too, especially the Sovereign. MY 240 that I bought at a JD dealership south of Battlecreek for just under 1k several years ago, and it came with a powerflo bagger system as well.-

100_1139.jpg

100_1140.jpg

Cam15, redmax fan and hort101 like this.
  3. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Simplicity Sovereign-

[​IMG]

Landlord-

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Silver Member

thanx ridin , i really appreciate your advice and all the advice you've helped everybody with here at the site all these years !

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I appreciate you saying that. Glad to help if and when I can.

6. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Senior Member

+2 on the Simplicity's.

I especially love the Sunstar versions because they are overbuilt tanks and super comfortable. The 60" deck is odd in that the blade nearest the chute is counter rotating but somehow it cuts well and also stripes great with the full width rollers on the back of the deck. Only downside is max height is ~3.5" high.

This Sunstar 20 GTH has 680 hrs on it and was purchased for $800:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cam15 and GrassManKzoo like this.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

nothing runs like a deere when it comes to lawn tractors

8. tdipaul

tdipaul LawnSite Senior Member

They're all powered by the same Kohlers or kawasaki's

Green adds to the price too.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No, not really. Here, a new Simplicity will (or would have) run you more by quite a bit than the comparative model of JD no matter the age. I priced many of them in the past from both brands when new and have done so not too long ago. Used, it's a wash. In the JD's favor, used implements are much easier to find for JD than for Simplicity.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

when it comes to parts support-the deere wins hands down. that's important for buying a used machine. where do you get simplicity parts ? never seen a dealer for them ever. j d is everywhere.