Buying former rental equipment: Would you?

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by tlc1994, Sep 3, 2011.

1. xxl

xxl LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I never have bought rental. But id look at it as a dice role. And go in with the atitude i might have to fix some thing

2. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

I bought directly from Cat. They went over it, fixed some things I had concerns about, and also have guarantees/warranties. I'd say it all depends on who/where you buy it from.

xxl likes this.
  3. LunaLanscaping

LunaLanscaping LawnSite Member

I have bought an aerator and a generator from a rental places, and did not have any issues, it's been 2 years now.

Most places, like home depot (where i bought my aerator), will give you a year warranty.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a claussen core aerator with 40hrs on it from HD a little over a year ago. They were asking $900 for it. Tried to talk manager down wouldn't budge. Then he finally said go get $100 worth of whatever you want you can have that at no charge if you pay the $900. So I did. Ends up these are about $4500 new, didn't know that at the time. Very good condition used it a lot. Already paid for itself and still runs like a tank... About as heavy as one too.

5. Earthquake Landscaping

Earthquake Landscaping LawnSite Member

I pick up stuff from the government auction website.. They list any issues known, and there's usually a number to call to the local municipality if you want to take a look at the item, or ask a question.. I always ask if the item is being sold because of a scheduled replacement policy. I've had stuff the got clocked out for each and every day it was on a truck, whether it was used or not, in pristine condition, that I picked up for pennies on the dollar.

I also found out why some companies send their hand helds out to auction, when they still run `fine`... they just compression test once a month, when the hand held drops under 110 psi compression.. off it goes to auction, while it still has enough compression to start.. That`s the kind of sale item I avoid.