1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Buying Lunch

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tadams, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I always buy lunch and supply snacks & ice water in the cooler every day. I don't buy cokes or any other drinks. It doesn't add up to a lot and we eat real cheap (me & one other). How many others do this or do you think they should buy their own? I understand that on bigger crews this would cost a bunch of money but this is for the smaller operations. Do you give any type of fringe benefits?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If they are good employee(s), then this is just another way to help you hold on to them IMO opinion as i have heard keeping good employees can be hard. Just my .02.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

With the crew I work for, we all have to supply our own lunch. Occassionally the boss will buy if he just got a compliment on our work or something. I don't expect the boss to buy my meals.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

It is understood from the beginning that my employees bring their lunch everyday. I bring ice every day for the water coolers. Usually, I will buy lunch for the crew on Saturdays (usually Chinese, my guys like that)

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I never did for my helper.

But say it was after hours and I needed him in an emergency then I would buy drinks after as like a thank you.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I buy lunch here and there, and buy ice for the cooler and drinks most of the time. I figure I can afford it more than my employees, and they seem to appreciate it.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

If it works for 1 go for it.

8. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I buy lunch if I'm there during lunch time. If I'm not and they bring me the receipt I'll reimburse them. I also supply the coffee in the morning and they have access to ice, coolers, water, and a variety of drinks before they leave. It's up to them to load the cooler and pick out what they want. I'll remind them if I seen they have forgotten... But I don't load it for them or force them to take it.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Make everyone brown bag it. Its a hell of alot cheaper that way.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I always make sure that my guys have water in their water cooler. In addition, I will buy them coffee and lunch often. However, I can not do it every day. This will add up. Let's say that it only cost you $30 a week. Let's say you average 30 weeks of work. That is $900 out of your pocket. I strongly believe in taking care of your employees, but don't let them come to expect it.