• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Buying new ZTR from dealer - surprised to find out it's been stored outside

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Unfortunately many dealers do keep their inventory out in the weather. Since I don't leave my equipment set out in the weather I don't want to buy equipment that has already sat out in the weather for long periods of time. As others have said you may encounter problems buying online and then trying to get the dealer to do service work. Many dealers don't take kindly to servicing equipment bought elsewhere even though they are required to do so if a franchise. I am not sure what to advise you here but if it really bothers you contact the dealer and let him know and ask if he could get a new one that is crated and wrapped for you.

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic
I didn't know so many dealers kept stuff outside.

My dealer doesn't. They have a storage building where mowers needing repair are stored...the garage area where they're worked on and kept while working on them...and a floor for new mowers. They park a few outside during the day, but under an awning...they're not outside if there is a chance of rain...and stored inside overnight.

I thought my dealer was the status quo. Good to know.

JP in KC

LawnSite Member
The dealer I bought two of mine from keeps them outside, stacked up in the "packaging" the manufacturer sends them in, except for a demo or two. But they move them pretty fast so they don't spend months and months sitting out there.

EricC

LawnSite Senior Member
all except the Deere dealer here had most of their inventory inside. They had big sheds with stacks of crated mowers and equipment, with just a couple models outside and some inside in a show room.

The Deere dealer must have had 30 mowers out there and 3 in their showroom LOL

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
It is easy for dealer put you at the back of the line for warranty service......a little rust on the unit isn't going to matter.
honestly, it shouldn't matter at all, but when i buy something new, I'm not even going to store it outside, why would I wnat to buy one that's been outside for months on end getting all sorts of crap on it while just sitting. Any fading or issues that are shown will no longer have the unit as being "new".

No good dealer puts a customer at the back of the line for warranty service, i see this crap claimed all the time on this forum by guys who want to feel special because they buy from a specific dealer. About half a dozen times I have taken equipment to dealers I didn to buy from, they got me done without any questions and I wasn't delayed as a result of the fleet buyer who bought 10 there last year, didn't happen, doesn't happen, if it does I go elsewhere and leave a report.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
honestly, it shouldn't matter at all, but when i buy something new, I'm not even going to store it outside, why would I wnat to buy one that's been outside for months on end getting all sorts of crap on it while just sitting. Any fading or issues that are shown will no longer have the unit as being "new".

No good dealer puts a customer at the back of the line for warranty service, i see this crap claimed all the time on this forum by guys who want to feel special because they buy from a specific dealer. About half a dozen times I have taken equipment to dealers I didn to buy from, they got me done without any questions and I wasn't delayed as a result of the fleet buyer who bought 10 there last year, didn't happen, doesn't happen, if it does I go elsewhere and leave a report.
I've had a dealer come right out and tell me that they wouldn't do service work on a machine if I bought one from another dealer. That was straight from the owner. A dealer could lose their franchise for saying such things, but he said it anyway.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
all dealers suck man. it's reality. selling mowers that have been sitting outside is the norm. they don't care. they just want your money. they take no pride in their inventory.

one time i was getting my mower worked on and they gave me the loaner/demo mower to use. it had about 6hrs on it. i told them i would change the oil and filter for them at 8hrs since that's when it was supposed to be done for the break-in period as long as they gave me 2qts of oil and a filter in return. they didn't seem to care one way or the other. they don't care about their equipment. lucky for whoever ended up buying that demo mower that i did the break-in oil change for them....otherwise the oil may have never been changed until 100hrs or something.

Mowingman

LawnSite Platinum Member
As a former dealer, I can tell you that a lot of dealers, in fact, most dealers keep their machines outdoors. They simply do not have room for the amount of machines that most companies or distributors make them order at one time. however, a dealer can keep them on the pallets and in the plastic that they are shipped in until they can be uncrated and sold, or moved in side for display. Heck, Hustler used to have their machines stacked in plastic and on pallets all around the factory, out in fields. I don't know if they ever got their inventory under roof or not. Most of the other factorys I have been to, at least had indoor storage for their new mowers.
I think the dealer will clean up the mower you are getting. If not, I would still buy local to insure better service. I would also point out to the dealer the items you think look weathered from sitting out. At least he should know about your displeasure of receiving a weathered machine.

FromUndaChz

LawnSite Member
I worked at a True Value for my first job. We kept a bunch out front on display, and a bunch on their pallets in the yard. All the customer equipment would just sit out back in the sun, rain, snow etc for weeks on end until the mechanics could get to them. Seems to be the status quo. That said, we had plenty of customers say they wanted a "new" one off the pallet. We would do that for them, but little did they know, most of the mowers on pallets had been sitting there for a year or more and the wrapping isn't really waterproof. At least they weren't getting the ones we drove in and out of the aisle every morning and evening, popping wheelies and god knows what else. You're not at all out of line to ask for one off a pallet.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
ask for a discount on the price because of the rust, scratches, and faded parts. show them on the lot and tell them it's not acceptable to buy a new mower that already has wear on it.

if they won't negotiate on the price then tell them ok you'll pay the price but order a brand new one and get it right out of the crate right when it comes off of the truck.

they'll tell you all sorts of stuff...."yeah we gotta grease it up and so forth" ...but they may grease it but they don't put enough grease in there. they can't even take 5min to adjust the tire pressures to the correct 12psi. you'll get home and they are at 25psi. i mean if they can't do that then they have no reason to be trusted to even touch your mower. i mean how hard is it to check tire pressures? yet no dealer ever does it. it's just pathetic.

Last edited: