1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

buying parts in volume

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrmoweratl, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mrmoweratl

mrmoweratl LawnSite Member

everyone I am curious if others are doing this or not.
    I just received a preseason sale flyer from my parts supplier and they have edger blades for 49 cents and Oregon lawn mower blades for a unheard of price. then for icing on the cake they are offering 6 months same as cash

So I am wondering do you buy a 6 month supply on the terms and save or just enough to get me by for the first part of season

I think this would be a great savings but do you buy parts on terms?????

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I never buy parts on terms, buying ahead of the season is great if funds are available. I keep a decent sized inventory of belts, filters, spark plugs, oil filters, etc. I always buy motor oil when it's on sale, usually the maximum amount the store will let me, typically 6 cases. 49 cents is a good deal for edger blades, where is this from?

3. mrmoweratl

Not sure if your allowed to say names but hope I don't get in trouble. Mowtownusa.com
    Free shipping to

4. Rick Grantham

Rick Grantham LawnSite Member

I agree with Lbilawncare. Its all about cashflow. If you have the cash to sustain you and you have a reliable income stream for the next 6 months or so, then it sounds like a good idea. But it would be a bad idea for someone who had low cash and an unreliable sales forecast.

Rick

5. mrmoweratl

Thanks Rick
    Since we start Clean ups and then cuttings cash flow should be good I understand your thought and again thank you for your input I guess I a trying to figure out something like this sounds so good What I am missing when I looked at how much I bought last year and the prices I would save over 1000.00