• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Buying used equipment

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
This was just discussed http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=304762 Don't go after people too much on the subject of new or used, it is a classic Ford vs Chevy dealio. Out of ALL of my used purchases (Everything in my sig, except for the single axle trailer, and some of the trimmers which were bought dirt cheap as demos, was purchased used) I have only had one lemon, and I should have known not to buy a mower with that engine model. I still got a good deal on it and I'm not mad about it. I have been very fortunate, I have come across some really great deals.

OP
S

Scott's Lawn Maintenance

LawnSite Senior Member
This was just discussed http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=304762 Don't go after people too much on the subject of new or used, it is a classic Ford vs Chevy dealio. Out of ALL of my used purchases (Everything in my sig, except for the single axle trailer, and some of the trimmers which were bought dirt cheap as demos, was purchased used) I have only had one lemon, and I should have known not to buy a mower with that engine model. I still got a good deal on it and I'm not mad about it. I have been very fortunate, I have come across some really great deals.
The original post wanted opinions on buying used vs new , I am curious to what experiences people have had with buying used equipment , I usually buy new but have considered buying used .

Tharrell

LawnSite Silver Member
I've bought most of my equipment used except for hand held stuff. If you know much about equipment you're ahead of the game. If you can expense new and need it, do it. I am not that big and my equipment gets my work done.
I can't see myself spending 8k on a mower when a 1500 mower will do the job. I can spend the extra money on a lot of other things. Now, if I had multiple crews working, it would be better to have newer stuff under warranty and a maintenance program set up. I know the condition of my stuff and what it can and cannot take. Never bought a lemon. Tony
btw-I have a lot of stuff. 5 wb, 1 Z multitudes of handheld stuff.