Lawn Care Forum banner

Buying Used Equipment

11K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  AWJ Services 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I always come around here every now and then. Just thought i would get some input for pros like you.

How do you guys buying used equipment cope with buying used equipment from really far distances from you, and also from private sellers? It seems like such a gamble for a purchase over 20, 30, and sometimes even 40k.

Also, I dont want this to become a battle of the brands. But i know some brands are more prone than others to have problems around certain periods of its life. I know there are many variables in the life span of a machine. But i would still like some input.

We currently rent a mustang mtl16, and sometimes mtl25 track loader, as well as an me3503 mini excavator. We rent these during the landscaping season, and use them AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE, due to the hassles of rentals, and daily prices etc. Between the track loaders, and mini excavator, we spend about 15k a season on these two machines alone. I am confident i can find over 20k worth of work if we owned.

This 20k may seem low, but we would only put around 100, to 150 hours a year on each machine. Dont question my pricing etc. I know how to charge for what i do, and it works well.

So down to the questions.

How many hours should i cut off at when searching for a piece of used equipment? 1400 hours? 1600 hours? 2000 hours?

what brands provided the most bang for your buck with longevity, future problems/maintenance and price?

i Know i can spend 80k and get 2 solid machine, but i really only want to spend 40k right now. Should i spend 40k or less and get one of the 2 machines i need, and keep renting the other until its paid off?

I am looking for a 3.5 to 5 ton excavator, and up to a 100hp track loader. I wish i could get buy with wheels for the price point. But it simply will not work.

I know i may not be clear as to what i am looking for from you guys, but any input/help, and any questions would help.

If this isnt clear let me know, if im crazy let me know, if i talk to much let me know. I will try and fix it.

Thanks!
Hank

See less See more
#2 ·
what kind of work in particular do you use the equipment for? tight quarters, minimal turf damage, clearing, grading, on pavement, for example.

#3 ·
primarily use on newly built or renovated houses. Turf damage therefore is not a concern. Both machines are used for grading. track loader is primarily used for B&B and offloading trucks. Moving large amounts of material, whether it be loam, or fill, or stone; also it may move pallets of sod from front yard to back on a rare occasion.
On occasion tight quaters, but if it cant fit the conventional tail swing 3.5 ton machine,we will do it by hand. Usually all the areas we can fit the 3.5 ton machine we can fit up to a 5 ton machine. Mini excavator will be used for grading, trenching, occasionally stumping. digging holes for large trees etc. Moving plant material, and ocasionally removing boulders, and ripping up concrete/pavement(note: we usually rent a jackhammer for this)

#4 ·
ALL of our work is in the landscape design and build business. Design/build landscapes, also a lot of hardscaping as well. We only use natural stone, nothing usually comes on a pallet, except for flag stone and flat stones. all of our work is medium to large projects that take from a week to up to a few months. (every 2 years or so we get a project that takes a year or two.)

#6 ·
if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for your machines? did you buy them locally? do they both have cabs? I would like a cab on the mini excavator, but have gotten away without renting a machine with one, and could continue to do so.

#8 ·
I personally dont like to buy used equipment unless it has really low hours, and has been well looked after. I would never buy a machine without seeing it , and going over the entire unit.

#9 ·
I paid 20 for the Taki and stole the Kubota at 25k. Both have cabs. The kubota has hyd thumb, auto idle, heat/AC, and had new rubber tracks. 5-6 ton minis should have cabs IMO. The door on the skid is a pain in my ass but I leave it on cause I want a brush hog and harley rake for it eventually. The skid was local the mini was 2 hours away.

#11 ·
have you considered a tlb? Not the best but with the limited hours you use it it could give you the ability to get a digger and loader at a lower price point. I do pretty much what you describe with a backhoe.

#12 ·
i have considered a tlb, but it does not fit what we do well. we work in a lot of small backyards. and we would need at least a jd 110tlb. It is too long, and not having a full 360 degree spin on the backhoe end would be worthless to us. Thanks for the idea though!

#14 ·
yeah, I have searched every used equipment site. Looks like if i want both i am just gonna have to shell out 50 to 70k. I really want to spend more and get the same brand, but i dont think my wallet can handle it. Which sucks because i truly believe uniformity is key.

#15 ·
If you aren't in a big rush, you could just keep searching around your area on Craigslist and trader papers and find both machines that you want at a decent price.

That's what I did, took most all summer until I found a used machine that I liked and was comfortable with. But I've got into a machine a lot of attachments for less than I wanted to spend originally..
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
Thats what you have to do is be diligent in looking over the course of a year. Its never taken me that long to find a good used deal on anything. Theres alot of used equip out there. Equipment sites are usually higher than local craigs/paper ads. I hear you about matching equip looking cool but other than that its a waste of money. Local dealer happens to have both my brands to simplify service stuff.

#17 ·
Getting both for 40K in the hours and condition that you want may be a challenge. You might keep an eye on Iron Planet. There are some deals from time to time. Maybe consider which you want to purchase now and only make one purchase (mini ex or CTL) this year and pickup the other next year or later in this year.

#19 ·
Not to steer away from the tide at hand here but recently a friend of mine bought a Nice T 300 wtih 400 hours on it for CHEAP out of ohio. Got the thing and could barely keep it running to unload it. Tried it but really no power. They brought it in to the dealer here in town. Lifted the seat and oh my - been on fire! After numerous calls to previous owner - they decided to split the cost ( bobcat came down and basically re-wired the machine). It was bad. So moral is be careful. Ask for alot of pictures and if your going to spend 20K plus, a $1000 plain ticket is cheap insurance.

#20 ·
Thats what you have to do is be diligent in looking over the course of a year. Its never taken me that long to find a good used deal on anything. Theres alot of used equip out there. Equipment sites are usually higher than local craigs/paper ads. I hear you about matching equip looking cool but other than that its a waste of money. Local dealer happens to have both my brands to simplify service stuff.
You got a good deal on your KX161. I've been on the hunt lately and there are precious few under the $40K mark. Those that are, go fast. So if you come across any let me know.

#21 ·
recently saw something about a rent to own program from Bobcat. I may check that out, and rent a mini excavator for 8 months or so to get me from the spring till fall. That way i can build up some money and then try and purchase the machine if i can.

#24 ·
i cant spend 45k right now, i need to keep it at least under 40 and close to 30. Also the steel tracks are a huge turnoff and i dont feel like spending another couple thousand for rubber ones. I am gonna look into this rent to own deal tomorrow. seems like it might be a good idea.

#26 ·
The U45 is a nice machine and very versatile. It is a step under the Kx161 in ability but a better Choice than a KX121.

It is really hard to beat a KX161 in ability and price. They really hold there value and where not as overpriced as some brands when new so resale is a better value even though they depreciate less than say a Cat in this class. Not many machines in it's calss that will outperform it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.