1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

buying used trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by metro-hp_48, Feb 8, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I know of diff. trailer "deals" around here, but I know some, that I wouldn't touch, just because I wouldn't trust them. Seems like it would be too easy to snatch one on the East Side, and sell it on the West Side. Leaving me with a hot trailer, and no $ for bail. I'm sure their are alot of honest people out there, but hate to take a chance. As a rule, I buy most things new, just for peace of mind (guns, tools, electronics, ect.)
    Do I ask the sweet old lady to show reciepts where she bought it? Buy from an ad in the paper, and keep the ad, to show where/how I got it? It seems like in this day and age, that there HAS to be alot of trailer thieving/fencing going on (everywhere)
    Anybody had any bad luck buying from strangers? Any good way to run the #'s before buying? (hate to try to save a little, and end up costing ALOT!) Might seem paranoid, but I know my luck.
    (in all other aspects of life, I've always been lucky!)

2. kennyb

kennyb LawnSite Member

in kansas, the numbers have to be run by the hiway patrol before it can be tagged/titled.