• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Bypass auto choke? 190cc briggs thermostat air vane boycott sucks

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
talking about the muffler heat-activated spring thermostat on a 190cc engine. Have had them break on several machines.
Is there a part from a different engine or something I can attach to manually choke and bypass this stupid system?
Wedging a stick in the air vane can sometimes work for the time being but not really.

Basically all gas snowblowers and trimmers have a manual choke lever and most people know to use it and there's usually an illustration too. The auto choke is not favor from briggs IMHO it's better to just flip a lever than have more parts to break.

OP
R

roody2333

LawnSite Bronze Member
i'm guessing a similar briggs carb from a powerwasher or something that has a choke, if it fits, might be easiest.

I was thinking some linkage rod or something at first, but yea a cable in a sheath might work too, similar to a drive-engage cable on 21" a mowe,, the rigidness of the sheath itself is what makes the wire actually push the transmission into drive, or in this case open or close a choke.

This snapper hi vac also has a throttle RPM which I might loose if I change the carb but whatever. I think I may have ran it too hot and helped the thermostat fail, because the only time I really use this mower is to scalp before seeding and ran it a tad high I think because seemed I had to refill gas more often than normal but was willing to run it a tad hot to blast though bagging heavy clippings better. But besides that also the Air Vane spring recently went missing and had to jam a twig in there in order to finish, I just don't like the autochoke system, had replaced all these parts numerous times on other machines the RPMs were at correct specs.