• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Bypassing safety bar?

scottvf

LawnSite Member
I just bought a new lawn mower recently and It has this annoying saftey bar you have to hold down or it will turn off. My old one didn't have this.
Does anyone know the best way to bypass this?
Right now I use Zip Ties to hold it down. The only problem is I have to use clippers to cut it off when I'm done mowing. I would like to know what other and better ways there is to do this.

Alpha Property

LawnSite Senior Member
You leave it there in proper working order, its there for your safty and everyone around you's safty. Any time you need to take both hands off the machine there is 100% no reason why you would need to leave it in drive and/or the blades running

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
I just bought a new lawn mower recently and It has this annoying saftey bar you have to hold down or it will turn off. My old one didn't have this.
Right now I use Zip Ties to hold it down. The only problem is I have to use clippers to cut it off when I'm done mowing. I would like to know what other and better ways there is to do this.
You have to remove the entire system, wiring and all to get them to cease to function.

They are in place for a reason though. If something happens and there is an investigation they will see if your safety features have been removed and there will be consequences.

DiyDave

LawnSite Bronze Member
I assume this is a push mower with the hand held bar that both grounds out the ignition, and applies a brake to the motor to stop the blade. You can always hook up a manual spark plug kill switch, like the older push mowers had, which is merely a flat piece of metal, bolted to a good ground source, like a head bolt, you just press the metal to the exposed spark plug tip. You may have to trim a little rubber off the spark plug boot, if it has a closed boot. I will not comment on the wisdom/safety of any modification you might make to your equipment, I am not the government, nor am I in any way responsible for the safety of your equipment.:waving:

Merkava_4

LawnSite Bronze Member
Out here in California, the guys who own the commercial Snapper mowers will remove the flywheel brake and then run a wire from the ignition coil to a switch mounted on the handle -- then from that switch a shorter wire would go to a ground on the same handle. That's commonly referred to as a custom installed ignition kill switch.

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
I had an incident last year where I was going up a slight hill that was a bit wet due to morning dew. when I suddenly slipped and fell forward, had the operator presence system been disabled, the large WB would have rolled back over me with the blades engaged!!!! I would not been able to do anything since I was basically lying face forward on the ground staring at the back of the mower!!! But if it is a 21" we are talking about, I use a little clamp to hold that bar down.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Velcro strip used for pant cuffs from a bike shop or you can wire the spring arm open on the brake and move the kill switch to the handlebar.

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don't understand the problem here. you have to hold the handle anyway so what is the problem holding the bail as well? How inconvenient can this be. Better to be safe than sorry.

Should anyone other than yourself, get hurt by this altered machine, you are going to be in one sad situation.

jkearnan

LawnSite Member
My new Toro 21 push mower had this as well and boy it was annoying at first. But like anything else you adjust to it over time and now I don't even notice it.

By using your zip ties you are not really allowing yourself the "get used to it" time. Hence it will continue to annoy you.

I agree with others, safety feature are put there for a reason. We never think it will be an issue, but this is why they are called "accidents"....we don't plan on them.

If you move forward with bypassing this just make sure your carrying a hefty umbrella insurance policy!

OP
S

scottvf

LawnSite Member
I don't understand the problem here. you have to hold the handle anyway so what is the problem holding the bail as well? How inconvenient can this be. Better to be safe than sorry.

Should anyone other than yourself, get hurt by this altered machine, you are going to be in one sad situation.
I also have to let go the handle to remove gutters, twigs, ect when I mow.
That's why I zip-tie it.
I've used my old one that doesn't have that function for over 30 years and never had a problem. (getting hurt).
This generation is over safety conscious, hence all the stupid laws. I disabled my airbag in my car because they don't have the option.

Also When I let go of the bar it's not the blade that stops turning, the engine stops. Then I have to restart it. which is a pain in my shoulder, since it has no electric start.

And if I get hurt, that's my right.

P.S. It is not a commericial mower. It's my home mower. I don't mow for a living.

Last edited: