Bypassing safety switches

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkosbab, May 26, 2006.

1. mkosbab

mkosbab LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Bobcat walkbehind. I am not sure of the year but it is at least 5 years old. Today, while loading it into the trailer it just died. Plenty of gas and oil. When I got it home I took it apart and wasn't seeing any spark. My first impression out in the field was a safety switch and seeing as how I can't find anything wrong here I think it has to be a safety switch. Is there any way to bypass the switches in order to troubleshoot the problem.

I am very safety conscience and would not and will not let them remain bypassed I'm just looking for a way to troubleshoot.

Thanks

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe you can just use a jumper to wire around them. You may try blowing them out with an air hose as well. I seem to get weird stuff in mine sometimes which causes them not to work properly.

3. mkosbab

mkosbab LawnSite Member

Thanks I'll give that a try.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can unplug the kill wire from the engine to the unit harness and that will eliminate all safety switches and the key switch to find out if it's a engine problem or switch problem. You didn't say what engine is on this so I can't give you a idea what color or where to find this kill wire.

5. mkosbab

mkosbab LawnSite Member

Sorry about that it is a kawasaki fc420v

6. Restrorob

It will be a black wire coming out from under the blower housing (flywheel cover) usually on the dipstick side if the engine.

7. mkosbab

mkosbab LawnSite Member

I have a white wire coming from under the housing that connects to the (coil?) and a black wire that looks like a ground on the other side

8. Restrorob

OK My bad, You have a wire coming from under the housing to the exciter then a wire from the exciter to the unit harness, This is the wire to disconnect.

9. mkosbab

mkosbab LawnSite Member

If that doesn't do anything, would you say the coil is shot?

10. Restrorob

Here is a diagram, Letter E is the exciter;

FC420 Wire Harness.JPG