Cable trenchers on strike?

Premier landscaping south

LawnSite Senior Member
I maintain mostly residential properties and have found in the past couple of years more and more coaxial cable cables from cable tv companies not being buried.
Just a pain in the rear when mowing and servicing a property. stretched all over the place: down fence lines all across the yard at all angles and conceivable ways.
I have been doing fall clean ups so dragging a tarp across them is not a good idea. Have even had to spike them down at times and or hang them across fences and woek under them. So are cables companies just trying to save a buck until customer gripes or what?

Last edited:

knox gsl

LawnSite Fanatic
I cut a fiber line earlier this year doing a mulch job. They we to sorry to bury it more than an inch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnagain

LawnSite Senior Member
When I had cable run to my house in 2008 they just laid it on the ground. After they replaced it the 3rd time in 3 weeks from running it over with the mower they sent somebody out to bury it by hand. All 400 ft.

OP

LawnSite Senior Member
It does not take a whole lot of time to avoid the cables its just the idea. The idea of the cable companies just throwing them down and forgetting about them:cry:. Then we have to deal with them week after week.

I really think its just a way to save money. Until the customer gripes they wont bury them.

OP

LawnSite Senior Member
When I had cable run to my house in 2008 they just laid it on the ground. After they replaced it the 3rd time in 3 weeks from running it over with the mower they sent somebody out to bury it by hand. All 400 ft.
They would have never done that here! Our clay would have them running for the ole trencher machine! LOL.

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
I had church I mowed a couple years ago with flagged temporary coax... I was not happy when the flag poked a hole in the tire. The cable company soon buried it like they should have. I didn't hit cable though.

OP

LawnSite Senior Member
I had church I mowed a couple years ago with flagged temporary coax... I was not happy when the flag poked a hole in the tire. The cable company soon buried it like they should have. I didn't hit cable though.
Many flags or just a few. Lots of flags would be even more aggravating.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Well, the cable company is like that cheapo customer. Keep looking for the cheapest crew. Some of them can't even buy trenchers. It's a law here in mn that it has to be 6" deep. Oh and most are 90-120 days out paying, if you can get paid. How do I know all this? My wife works for out local cable company and has worked for several others. All the same crap.

I hit one a few years back aerating. Lazy sobs tucked it under the sod. I didn't have to pay for it. Pissed the customer off though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
As jimslawncare pointed out, the crews that bury the cable are sub contractors. How fast they may get around to burying the cable depends on how many jobs the subs need to do. BTW, Spring is their busiest time of the year.