Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have expanded metal cages on the front of your trailers, what do you put in them.

I was going to build one at the same time as all of my other racks, but then thought what would I put in it. I mow only (with this crew) trimmers and blowers have thier place, gas has a bin, what is the cage for?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I know this is off subject some but I was gonna put a cage on my trailer. But I got to thinking my gas cans were gonna be in the rain and everything else was gonna get wet also. So I put my camper shell back on my truck, keeps the stuff dry and kinda out of site to the honest thief any way and if a rain shower comes up I have room for my trimmers in there to keep them dry also

·
Banned
3,256 Posts
Originally posted by Edgewater
what is the cage for?
Anything you want!:D

Personally, I would want a solid cage, not expanded metal. Just to keep everything dry and out of sight. Plus you could put smaller things in it.
Tool box, air tank, spool of trimmer line, hand pruners, folding saw, loppers, bungees, ratchet straps, come along, wheel chocks, first aid kit, oil, gloves, grease gun, measuring wheel, tire repair kit, tarps, rags, and the list goes on and on.............

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Mine is used for the backpack blowers, chainsaw, small hedgesaw, and water cooler. The top shelf holds two pushmowers (when used), - a bagger and a discharge. They are strapped down with bungies. Sorry for the quality of the pic... I messed it up when trying to post it. Anyway, this year, I'm turning this around to face the front, and putting a steel fold down door on it. This door will also act as a shelf to work on things, as well as allow me easier access to the stuff.

Gas Art Machine Building Metal

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
No, not at all. I DO run bungies on each side that go down toward the center at about a 45. This is just for security of the backpacks. The mesh is welded on the bottom of the square tubing (which also has a piece of tubing going up the center for bracing and support to weld the mesh onto), so the tubing sticks up a bit from the shelf helping hold the stuff in. I also have rubber mat (mudflap material) on the bottom for the stuff to ride on. It's generally a smooth ride, there on the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
we put gas cans,spare blades,tires,orange cones,extra battery,tarps and we also mounted brake lights at top of cage for those idiots behind us that cant see the regular light...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Expanded metal vs solid metal means less weight on the trailer and less wind resistance. Expanded metal it used to secure items while maintaining some security. My gas cans stay on the trailer all the time, just make sure the vent hole os closed off.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Here is a pic of my storage rack. If you notice, it looks a lot like that Runner built. That is because I took it off his design. I used 1.5" square tubing. This is a HEAVY unit. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would go with 1" square tubing. I also will most likely cut it down it little, probably take about 5" off the heigth. I have some repairs to be made to it. The other day I worked 8 hours before my 3rd shift job, work my third shift job, then another 8 hours after my 3rd shift job. After working 24 straight hours I was dog tired and not in the right state of mind. In short, I forgot to put the door up, was backing out of a driveway and broke all the weld on the hinges. A new hinge, a little grinding, weld and paint will be needed. It will come in handy though.

Mesh Gas Flooring Wood Metal

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Wow! That's pretty nice! Now, that's what I want to do with mine, this year. Put a door on it like that, and turn it around to face the front. What do you plan on using the top area for? I noticed that it's pretty deep.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Originally posted by Runner
What do you plan on using the top area for? I noticed that it's pretty deep.
Right now I have a couple bags for collecting grass on there and a bunch of gas cans. I will also use it for grass seed and fertilizer. I wanted to make it deep enough to hold (2) 50lb bags on top of each other with falling out. Might of made it too deep. If I had to do it all over again, I would take a couple inches off there, the middle section and 5" off the legs as forementioned. I would also just put one chain for the door, that is plenty.

·
Banned
3,256 Posts
Hey Walker, what about rather then cutting it down 5" on top, why not put a hinged door on it just like the lower one?
This way you can access it easier, but still have the hauling capacity.
Just a thought.

I'm curious, to those that use these expanded metal cages, why did you choose expanded metal over solid? Was it a cost issue, or to reduce drag while driving or what?

I would think a solid cage would allow you to carry smaller items, plus it would protect it from weather and keep thieving eyes off your stuff. Basically like a big truck tool box.

Does anyone here have a solid cage (hmm, would it still be called a cage?), and if so, anyone have pics?

·
Banned
4,898 Posts
Originally posted by gogetter
Hey Walker, what about rather then cutting it down 5" on top, why not put a hinged door on it just like the lower one?
This way you can access it easier, but still have the hauling capacity.
Just a thought.

I'm curious, to those that use these expanded metal cages, why did you choose expanded metal over solid? Was it a cost issue, or to reduce drag while driving or what?

I would think a solid cage would allow you to carry smaller items, plus it would protect it from weather and keep thieving eyes off your stuff. Basically like a big truck tool box.

Does anyone here have a solid cage (hmm, would it still be called a cage?), and if so, anyone have pics?
check the pic forum I posted some pics of my solid ones
{trailor pics}
machttp://lawnsite.com/showthread/t-64675.html

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Originally posted by gogetter

How small of stuff are you meaning? If I was carrying nuts and bolts, I guess I'd want solid.:D
Yeah, the general idea behind expando is weight and drag. Now, on the front and sides of mine, I used a finer mesh, and for the shelf floors, I used a heavier expando, like what's on a lift gate.

·
Banned
3,256 Posts
Originally posted by Runner
How small of stuff are you meaning? If I was carrying nuts and bolts, I guess I'd want solid.:D
Hmmm, I guess when I think about it, I'm more concerned with keeping stuff out of the weather and out of view then I am about it falling through the mesh.

Although I'm sure a few nuts and bolts would end up on the floor of it eventually too:)

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Gogetter, I was not going to cut the top down 5", I was going to take the bottom support legs down 5". I wanted enough space underneath the rack to roll a 21" mower underneath it. When I measured the mower from the floor to the top of the engine, I got 22". That was only because I was standing up. After the rack was built, I went back and measured the mower again, but this time I placed a flat, level across the top and measured up to the bottom of the level.....this time 17". This is a big mistake on my part and is very quite embarassing. I only tell you guys so that you don't make the same mistake.

I did think about making the top and the front solid and the back and sides expanded. This would keep most the weather out and still aloow some air flow. Capt Devo posted a pic of his on another site. He did not build his, it was pre-manufactured. I figured I could always come back and add this if I wanted to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.