• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

calculating bids for new clients

CWC

LawnSite Member
Is there a formula to help decide the price I should ask for a new job? I'm new to the business and have no idea where to start the pricing. How much per acre, how much for trimming individually around a grove of trees? I am very detail oriented and have trouble knowing how long the job will take until I actually do the work. Do any of you have a suggestion that will help the new kid on the block to know how to price a job and be profitable and remain competitive?

3JLawnScapes

LawnSite Member
I go about 55 an acre just to mow... Trimming is something you will learn. Standard yard in a sub div, the works, goes about 30 for a reg. and 35 for a corner. Then i just try to work my way up from there.

baddboygeorge

LawnSite Bronze Member
Its all trial an error! When ya lose your ass a few times you learn!! see ya George

OP
C

CWC

LawnSite Member
I'm still just a small-fry. Thanks for the in-put I hope I will be able to avoid to many pricing errors. I havean aggreement to work on an hourly bases right now. The Spring cleanup and property prep is taking to much time for a flat rate.
Thanks for the input. It will be valuable.

ccondie

LawnSite Member
I usually charge about $70 a acer and about $35 for a reg sized yard. like some one else said once you loose your ass once or twice you will get a better feel. but thats how i do it anyway.