1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating square feet??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 26, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A problem I have when calculating lawns is converting "inches" over to "decimal points" on the calculator. I am sure there are measuring wheels that might do this, but mine does not. I know that 10'6" would be converted to 10.5 on the calculator, but how would you convert say......10'10" on the calculator. I have a TI-83 graphing calculator and I almost bet there is a feature on there to do this, but I have not looked yet and was just curious what you other out there were doing.

Also, would someone mind sharing the formula on how to calculate a triangle? There was a thread on this awhile back and some posted many odd calculations.

Thanks
    MATT

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont believe that the 83 has a converter. I just checked mine and i could not find it. I know for sure though that the TI-86 and up have a converter, so you may want to be extra good and plead with santa;).

Just round up. In the whole scheme of things, what is 6" or less going to matter.

For triangle, its half the length times the height. (LxW)/2

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't suppose it matters a whole lot, but sure would be nice to have a measuring wheel that converted the inches to decimals. I guess you could call me a convenient freak.

MATT

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

That's EASY! 10'10" = 11' :blob2: :blob1: :blob3: :blob4:

5. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious how you measure the area of your yards, because many lawns are not really even a simple rectangle, take culdesacs for example.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Really now guys, this isn't that hard.

1" = .083 foot and for each 1/4 quarter foot you add an extra .001

IE:

10" = 10 X .083 + .003 = .833 foot

This will certainly get you close enough for yard work.

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to look at the irregularly shaped yards and see what "shapes" make it up. You might have to do a number of different calculations if you want to get the square footage pegged really close.

I just did one where the main body of the front yard was a rectangle, sandwiched on the sides and "top" by three triangles. The side yard was, for lack of better terms, a lopsided oval - with different widths running it's length. Turned out to be 8,135 sq. ft. & just eyeballing it I thought maybe 10,000. The shrubs, borders, ect., add up.

When I measured a portion of the yard to be 69 ft. 10 in., I just round up to 70 ft. If it was 10 ft. 2 in., I round down to 10 ft.