California wants you to be all electric... This is going to be interesting.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
We did manage. One [biggest for LCOs] benefit was instead of raising prices, guys improved efficiency to offset inflation.

In 2 years electric blowers will be better, but gas will be still be improving as well.

unless more bans are put into place and resources are shifted from gas to electric.

and from what I have heard, gas blowers might be topping out.

the engines are about as efficient as they can make them unless they add weight and complexity to them with injection. They can’t go much heavier, human body will only hold so much. So larger motors, fans = more weight. So that leaves two options, Faster spinning motors , which could get there but OSHA has limits that are unlikely to be lifted or changed, And the last option is to design better tubes and fan blades to reduce drag. Sadly though, that technology has also topped out. I’m sure there will always be a race for bigger and better but I think the electric race will be a lot faster than the gas. It will eventually get pretty close.

Oklawnhoma Lawn Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Berman said the state has set aside $30 million to help professional landscapers and gardeners make the transition from gas-powered equipment to zero-emission equipment, but an industry representative said that’s woefully inadequate for the estimated 50,000 small businesses that will be affected by the law.

Andrew Bray, vice president of government relations for the National Assn. of Landscape Professionals, said the zero-emission commercial-grade equipment landscapers use is also prohibitively expensive and less efficient than the existing gas-powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers and other small machinery. For example, a gas-powered commercial riding lawn mower costs $7,000 to $11,000, but its zero-emission equivalent costs more than twice that amount, he said.

Another major expense will be batteries. Bray said a three-person landscaping crew will need to carry 30 to 40 fully charged batteries to power its equipment during a full day’s work.

“These companies are going to have to completely retrofit their entire workshops to be able to handle this massive change in voltage so they’re going to be charged every day,” Bray said.

"Zero" emissions, omg

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
yes it can. And we don’t need to waste time pull starting, letting it warm up on a cold day, changing air filters or storing for winter. No mixing fuel or buying oil at the store. You save time in other areas.

servicing 30 properties per day, we use around 1500watt/hours. Size of your battery pack will determine how many you need.

charging is overnight. We buy enough tools with batteries that it’s not a problem. There are other “modes” of doing it as well, using less batteries and power inverters. We are still playing with different options.

one thing to keep in mind. This proposed mandate goes into effect in 2024? So you still have 3 years for things to improve. That’s a ton of time. Stuff today is twice as good as it was 3 years ago.

We did manage. One [biggest for LCOs] benefit was instead of raising prices, guys improved efficiency to offset inflation.

In 2 years electric blowers will be better, but gas will be still be improving as well.

Yep, when more power means the job gets done faster I get the most power available within my budget. I'm a one man operation and time is money and there's only so much of that in a day. The faster I can get each job done the more money I can make.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Wondering what battery and how many would be required to get the 44 Newtons provided by my echo 8010 blower?

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wondering what battery and how many would be required to get the 44 Newtons provided by my echo 8010 blower?

I have the shindaiwa version....awesome machine. An electric that moved that much air that fast would require massive amounts of juice to run for a day's work.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
A lot of these idiots in power (everywhere I'm not taking sides here) probably think "well Tesla did it so everything should be electric" but the idiots fail to realize that autos are in the unique position of power recapture via magnetic braking that helps recharge said battery and get longer run times. And I'm still waiting to hear from anyone anywhere in power about where and when the new powerplants will be built... Or will we just run a huge line to China on the ocean floor and start buying our electricity from them as well? Why not LOL.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
In about 3 weeks we will be running 3 or 4 of them for about 5 to 6 hours of actual use per 8 hour day each. Maybe 40 batteries per day will do it? That seems cheap. Not. And will the government offset the cost of my building a shed the size of my house to use as a "charging station"? Just curious. Not in California... Just thinking ahead.

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
A lot of these idiots in power (everywhere I'm not taking sides here) probably think "well Tesla did it so everything should be electric" but the idiots fail to realize that autos are in the unique position of power recapture via magnetic braking that helps recharge said battery and get longer run times. And I'm still waiting to hear from anyone anywhere in power about where and when the new powerplants will be built... Or will we just run a huge line to China on the ocean floor and start buying our electricity from them as well? Why not LOL.

It's been brought up...you think Cali has bad grid issues now, wait till everyone's charging batteries at high amperage all night every night. And no one's allowed to have generators either.

Glad I don't live there.

Last edited:

Top Forums