Call Customer Or Just Start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by creatived, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. creatived

    creatived LawnSite Member
    Messages: 69

    After Sending Out My Early Spring Newsletter Etc Do Most Guys Wait For Customers To Contact Them Or Start.
  2. 1cooltreeguy

    1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 630

    I know the customers preferences and I also want to train the customer about the way my company operates - I stay consistent year after year- I JUST START!!! Bill them and if there is a problem I resolve it by letting them know that this is the way we operate. To tell you the truth, I have had very few complaints over the years over just starting. Also, i let them know when they sign up that the contract will renew without notice(like the phone company does) unless I receive a phone call not to start. if they sell it then it is their responsibility to let me know....
  3. Woody82986

    Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX
    Messages: 2,128

    I send out spring letters that state when I'll be starting. I let them know that if they eed anything out of the ordinary, they should give me a call. Otherwise I'll be there when I say I'll be there.
  4. haybaler

    haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma
    Messages: 511

    just do it. ask questions later.
  5. Whitey4

    Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,448

    I survey every property, and make recommendations for their maintenance and apps programs for the coming year. I might mention how much healthier the shrubs are, maybe suggest a new bed planting, get them thinking about mulch installs... it's a chance to up sell premium srevices.

    I let them know they have my attention.... and I'm not afraid to lose one. Thing is, with this sort of attention, I don't expect to lose any.
  6. rogerwb

    rogerwb LawnSite Member
    from Idaho
    Messages: 94

    Treat the customer better than the lawn care company that they had before you.

    I personally go and talk to each of my customers. My customers come first. I ask first than start when they want to start. The customer calls the shots. And by the way I don't loose customers.
  7. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    if they don't call and cancel before the season starts, just show up and mow.
  8. DSLND

    DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,205

    I have everyone on a yearly contract, which is a farily simple way of organizing everyone.

    Contract renewals are sent out each fall, and can be renewed at any time. I have about 90% of my contracts back from last year, and the other 10% are on their way (recently called the customers). This process works for me, and its simple.

  9. haybaler

    haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma
    Messages: 511

    I don't loose customers either, but I start on my schedule.
  10. lifetree

    lifetree LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,369

    This is the best approach !!

Share This Page