Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of buying a BB lightning. Call my closest BB dealer to arrange a domo. They will only let me try it at there shop..I told him that my customers have a varried type of turf, and I wont be able to tell how the mower preforms by running it around his shop...His response,(and I couldn't make this stuff up).." if they let everyone demo a mower, they would have used mowers sitting all over the shop":dizzy:...I cant belive there still in buisness....No dealer has every model as a demo. Oh well..guess it's between Toro and Exmark.................:usflag:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Does the guy not understand that he can let several people demo the same mower? I mean, that's why manufacturers send demo units to dealers. Used mowers sitting around everywhere? Hardly. I think Ferris makes a dealer put at least 15 hours on a demo unit before they can sell it at the demo discount price. Hopefully, you've sold several other mowers before the demo itself is sold. I think my Ferris dealer has 2 or 3 different models to demo, like actually take to your house or whatever.

By the way, I just noticed you have an IS2000. How do you like it? My dealer said he might have a repo IS2000 61" with the 26 l/c Kawi coming in soon. If he does get the repo, I might trade for the bigger deck, but I'm pleased with my IS1500 if the deal doesn't develop.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the guy not understand that he can let several people demo the same mower? I mean, that's why manufacturers send demo units to dealers. Used mowers sitting around everywhere? Hardly. I think Ferris makes a dealer put at least 15 hours on a demo unit before they can sell it at the demo discount price. Hopefully, you've sold several other mowers before the demo itself is sold. I think my Ferris dealer has 2 or 3 different models to demo, like actually take to your house or whatever.

By the way, I just noticed you have an IS2000. How do you like it? My dealer said he might have a repo IS2000 61" with the 26 l/c Kawi coming in soon. If he does get the repo, I might trade for the bigger deck, but I'm pleased with my IS1500 if the deal doesn't develop.
I like it as long as the grass is dry..We have been having lots of rain, and when it dosnt rain the cool nights leave lots of dew on the lawns..Have new blades, and its leaving huge clumps of wet grass all over the place...The lazer z throws the grass so much better..acyually had to go back to a couple lawns last week after the piles dried..The cut is awesome, the discharge is where im having issues...Mines a 61" 27hp kohler.....:usflag:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not sure I would even call the Bad Boy rep to set up a demo. If the dealer wasn't willing to work with him to sell a mower, how will he be when he needs parts or service?
Perhaps the dealer doesn't know about demos. I know in my area, most if not all dealers will not let you demo mowers. I asked one and you would have thought I slapped his momma by the reaction I got. I know the Bad Boy rep in my area will make sure you get a demo. The place I deal with even though they don't let out demos, still do all they can to help you out.Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I do agree with the needing demos part of it, I am a very small dealer, and I have 3 available at all times (2 my personal, and one an actual demo), however to give this guy some credit, he might be a new dealer, or had a rough year this year, or may have already sold his "demo" so he wouldn't have to sit on it all winter. There are many factors involved, but if you want a demo pm me, and I will send your information on to the factory rep for your area. For whatever reason the dealer didn't have a demo, the factory will back him up and send one out to you. What most guys don't understand is that most manufacturures make us pay cash for the demo, and give us a percentage off of the purchase price to get one. They aren't just given to us by the company for free. They also have to be careful on their demo programs, so that dealers don't take advantage of the discount they get, and actually use it as a real demo, thus the minimum hours, and time straints. Most companies make us keep the demo till after a certain month of the season to sell it, or limit the amount of demos we get. If our sells are low, they limit demos to us also. Some things to consider that might have been factored into your phone call. I got a call the other day, a guy I had never met had heard about the Bad Boys, and wanted me to give him one for the whole weekend. I explained that if he would come in, or set an appointment I would bring one out and go over with him and let him demo, but I first had to get some information before letting him just throw one on the trailer, heck for all I know he is just passing through scamming for equipment, or he has never been on a zt at all. I pissed him off, but I hope he realizes that I can't give just anyone my $12000 demo for the weekend. There are a few LCOs that have taken my mowers for the weekend, but I knew them, and they have came in and visited with me a few times, heck I even knew where they lived. I think I speak for all dealers on this topic. I had a guy from Alabama pm me for a demo, and the rep brought one by his house in a week and a half in a bad boy truck and trailer, just pm me your contact information if you are still interested.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Around here we have 8+ dealers and only one will let you demo a machine and thats JD. Hell the other dealers wont even let you engage the blades.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He did say the lightning that i was interested in was a 07 model..so maybe his sales were low this yr...Still doesn't explain his "used mowers all over" statement..I never thought about scammers trying to get a mower, guess id make a bad crook, lol. He is about 75 miles from me, so he doesn't know me at all. Iv'e never been there. He is the closest dealer though........:usflag:

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I do agree with the needing demos part of it, I am a very small dealer, and I have 3 available at all times (2 my personal, and one an actual demo), however to give this guy some credit, he might be a new dealer, or had a rough year this year, or may have already sold his "demo" so he wouldn't have to sit on it all winter. There are many factors involved, but if you want a demo pm me, and I will send your information on to the factory rep for your area. For whatever reason the dealer didn't have a demo, the factory will back him up and send one out to you. What most guys don't understand is that most manufacturures make us pay cash for the demo, and give us a percentage off of the purchase price to get one. They aren't just given to us by the company for free. They also have to be careful on their demo programs, so that dealers don't take advantage of the discount they get, and actually use it as a real demo, thus the minimum hours, and time straints. Most companies make us keep the demo till after a certain month of the season to sell it, or limit the amount of demos we get. If our sells are low, they limit demos to us also. Some things to consider that might have been factored into your phone call. I got a call the other day, a guy I had never met had heard about the Bad Boys, and wanted me to give him one for the whole weekend. I explained that if he would come in, or set an appointment I would bring one out and go over with him and let him demo, but I first had to get some information before letting him just throw one on the trailer, heck for all I know he is just passing through scamming for equipment, or he has never been on a zt at all. I pissed him off, but I hope he realizes that I can't give just anyone my $12000 demo for the weekend. There are a few LCOs that have taken my mowers for the weekend, but I knew them, and they have came in and visited with me a few times, heck I even knew where they lived. I think I speak for all dealers on this topic. I had a guy from Alabama pm me for a demo, and the rep brought one by his house in a week and a half in a bad boy truck and trailer, just pm me your contact information if you are still interested.
They brought me a 32 hp Lightning and I ran it for 30 hrs. I don't know of any company that gives that much demo time. I don't understand how dealers expect to sell mowers without people trying them on their properties.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
so what were your thoughts after 30 hours? and are you going to try and work with the local BB dealer?
I just did a comparison between the Bad Boy and Hustler Super Z. The Bad Boy rode and handled well but the Super Z with flex forks and flex seat rode and handled much better. You have to take into consideration the flex forks and seat were 500.00 worth of additions for the Hustler. The Bad Boy rode well at 14 mph with the 4 wheel torsion rubber suspension stock with no additions.

The cut was good but left a few more stragglers than my Hustler. The cut will never be that manicured look you get from a Walker or Exmark Ultra Cut but then again neither will the Hustler cut be comparable to those mowers. The Bad Boy will cut through anything with the 32 Vanguard I used, it cut through grass that would stop the 28 efi on the Hustler dead in it's tracks.

I did a complete comparison review even with hand measured dimensions in this forum, you need to look it up and read the details.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I don't think any mower going 14 mph will cut as well as the Exmark Ultra Cut or a Walker going barely 8 mph... :nono:
However, when ran at 8 mph, Bad Boy Lightning will cut as good or better than most mowers out there. :drinkup:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I took retrodog up on his offer to help me arrange a demo. I'm waiting for the BB rep for my area to contact me. So for now BB is still in the game...
Looking foward to the demo.....:usflag:

·
Banned
4,484 Posts
I've been mystified at why we had a surge of new companies in an already crowded market in the last several years With the BOP Quick mowers at least they had something very different to sell, and also very simple and affordable. So it made sense.

But these super ztr's I'm not getting. Do they do anything better? Or is it just a lower price? If so, I'm afraid you'll likely lose most of those savings, if not more, at resale time.

I see some homeowners out here in a rural area mowing their pasture-lawns with them. I noticed a lady yesterday while out mowing with a badboy along a fenceline rather slowly and it was puking up clumps pretty bad. I can't say if it was due to her mowing too much off at once or not, though.

I've never done an extended demo and have lucked out in the past, but I will from now on. I've bought some used machines and found out they didn't quite meet my needs, but was able to unload them for about what I paid due to them being used. But a new machine depreciates too much to risk it.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I don't think any mower going 14 mph will cut as well as the Exmark Ultra Cut or a Walker going barely 8 mph... :nono:
However, when ran at 8 mph, Bad Boy Lightning will cut as good or better than most mowers out there. :drinkup:
I get a very good cut at 15 mph using a 2 3/4" cutting height, but cutting lower is the difference. The Bad Boy would not give as clean a cut at the same height running 14 mph, and the Bad Boy had new blades.

You made a good point, the Exmark and Walker give an excellent cut but it would be nice to see what it looked like if they could mow at 15 mph. I'll promise it would be different and I doubt you could stay in the seat.

"Tomberlawn" post in this forum and he runs a Ferris mower in his business. He came and cut grass with my mower at 15 mph and when he finished he said he did not think it was possible. He said it rode very smooth and left nothing standing, it was hard for him to believe until he did it himself.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.