• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

Called a boy today!

chipk1

LawnSite Senior Member
During a conversation with a customer today, a phrase came out of his mouth that kinda ticked me off. We were talking about a payment he forgot to mail and in this conversation he said "Damn, I forgot to mail that boy a check". I am 43 years old an this guy is about 35. So I'm thinking to myself, what did he mean by "boy". Then it dawned on me. He thinks of me as a LAWN BOY. :cry: :cry:

Does it bother anyone else to be thought of as a LAWN BOY.

I mean I'm sitting and a piece of equipment worth more than this guys car, running my own business, and probably grossing more annually than he makes in two and he is calling me a boy. ARGH!

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!

Mowman16

LawnSite Senior Member
Who cares? I would rather people not know i'm making as much as i am, then they feel sorry for you. As long as he pays you don't let it bother you.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
During a conversation with a customer today, a phrase came out of his mouth that kinda ticked me off. We were talking about a payment he forgot to mail and in this conversation he said "Damn, I forgot to mail that boy a check". I am 43 years old an this guy is about 35. So I'm thinking to myself, what did he mean by "boy". Then it dawned on me. He thinks of me as a LAWN BOY. :cry: :cry:

Does it bother anyone else to be thought of as a LAWN BOY.

I mean I'm sitting and a piece of equipment worth more than this guys car, running my own business, and probably grossing more annually than he makes in two and he is calling me a boy. ARGH!

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!
I guess you are from the South, that was what black male slaves were called. "Hey BOY come on here and load that cotton on this wagon" you are just considered a white slave that is given a token for your work, "cut that grass Boy". Don't let it bother you just laugh about it on your way to the bank.

zturncutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Look at it this way. This kind of ignorance works to our advantage, if they had any brains they would realize they were paying upwards of $100.00 per hour to get their lawn cut by us boys:laugh: all the way to the bank.

WildWest

LawnSite Senior Member
You can call me anything you want, just PAY UP!!!

garrettlawn

LawnSite Member
Correct me if I am wrong... but you are a lawn boy. Right?