Calling All John Deere Fans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguy4444, Mar 28, 2017.

?

Which would you choose?

1. John Deere 930m 60 inch

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. John Deere 930m 54 inch

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. lawnguy4444

lawnguy4444 LawnSite Member

Howdy!
    I have become apart of the "green team" if you will by purchasing a JD quiktrak. I going to be purchasing a JD 930m with the tweels. My delima is weather or not I should get the 54inch deck or the 60 inch. Trust me, I have read all of the threads about the topic. Someone that has experience with both or has both could you chime in and let me know if the 60 inch is a scalp machine or if its pretty good. Obviously it depends on how flat the ground is. Just let me know your experience. Also if anyone has the tweels and likes them? Ive also read all of the threads on that topic. A buddy of mine told me that 60 inches tend to scalp pretty bad. Im just worried about the area along the road, the ditch.

Thank you.

2. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

About 8 years ago I had the concerns of scalping going from a 54"to the 60" but decided to give the 60" a shot anyway. Since then I have stuck with the 60" platform.

DawsonLC and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. lawnguy4444

Thanks! I appreciate your reply. I am demoing one this week and the difference is only $200 to get the 60 inch.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If you scalp with the 60", you need to learn how to mow/operate the machine. Set the gauge wheels right and go to town. the 60" has a much wider chute opening, so will fan the clippings better, and tend to get build up less under the deck. There's almost no reason whatsoever to buy a 54" deck. The 60" has much better trim side overhang too.

Reedo, 13Razorbackfan and lawnguy4444 like this.
  5. lawnguy4444

Any experience with the tweel??

6. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both the 54 and 60 with the 7 iron deck and no doubt the 60 spreads the grass better. I have around 100 or so lawns I do solo and I think maybe 5 of those properties have a rear gate that my 54 will fit and a 60 won't. That wouldn't be enough for me to get another 54 and if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a 60" z960m right from the jump which is what I plan on doing this summer. I am pondering keeping the 54 anyways but in order to carry both JD'S plus my Snapper pro I will have to go from a 16' to a 18' trailer

Ridin' Green likes this.
  7. lawnguy4444

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm thinking 930m 60 inch. Will really help speed things up from a 48

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Yes...quite a bit faster. Are you firm on budget? Might consider a 950 or 960. I wish someone talked me into it a couple years ago.

9. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

60" here and no scalping on my very uneven and hilly terrain. Just set your anti scalp wheels correctly and it'll be fine.

lawnguy4444 likes this.
  10. lawnguy4444

Under 250 payment a month really. 0% interest borrowing for free... Can't beat that.