Calling it quits.....maybe.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I've been cutting grass for more than 20 years. Never full time because I wanted to enjoy what I did and I still do very much. I have very loyal clientel and they are happy with the work. I'm at the point where it's going to take a decent investment in equipment because of age and wear and tear and that kind of thing. Everything runs and works but stuff wears out and I know in the next year or two it'll need replacing. I'm just not sure I want to put big money (for me) into something that I'm only going to do for maybe 2-3 more years. On the fence about it. Anybody been there?

2. weeze

weeze Banned

in the process of quitting myself after 10 years full time.

rixtag and agm like this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Have you heard from the pest company yet?

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Good quality used stuff might work temporarily since you only want to go another couple of years. What equipment are you talking about? Mowers? Handhelds? Truck and/or trailer?

I am in the sunset years myself.

If you have cash in hand sometimes nearly new stuff can be had for 50% of new. Not often, but sometimes. If you were able to score a deal you could run it for a few years and still get most of your $ back out when you liquidate.

5. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

i understand where you are coming from, i have been in it for 10 years or so and kinda feel the same way. you are always fixing or replacing equipment. great deals can be had for used equipment with reasonable hours, also in my situation, i plan on replacing at least one mower every 2-3 years, i sell the old one for nearly half price after using it for 3-5 years, it has made me a decent chuck of money and it is more worth my time to have a newer machine that isnt sitting around being repaired all the time. ive known a few guys in my area keep their business in top shape and then decide to retire and sell it all (accounts, equipment, etc) and make out pretty good that way. so that is something to consider.

6. weeze

weeze Banned

nope. i went for an interview over a week ago. i've read online the process to get hired can take a month which seems crazy to me. i'm about ready to give up on it and try something else. :laugh:

we're just now starting to get into the "easy" part of the year for lawn care. i may as well just ride it out til the end of the season and then try to find a job in january or something? i dunno really.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

But something used then
    Newer than what you got, so the planned investment banks out over a short term.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  8. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

Just curious, are you tired of the work? Dealing with people? Employees? All of the above? I know its none of my business and you dont have to answer, just curious.

9. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

He already said " he does not like to work " :)

10. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

If people are honest no one likes to work. We work because we have to. I know I could find 100 other things to do besides work, just show me the money.

DXN1EL, rixtag, weeze and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.