Calling it quits.....maybe.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I had that problem. My stuff is in good shape yet I'm exhausted halfway through the day. It's taking a couple hrs to get started in the morning and by the next day or two I'm trying to recoup from the previous day! I have no grip/strength in my hands after a full day of work. If I was holding on to a rope for dear life, I'd fall and die. Add vertigo to the equation and I'm stuck in a bad place! I'm seriously considering disability as a option! I have so many ailments that are not going away that I'm having a hard time working. My doctor is having a time trying to get to the bottom of it and doesn't want me to stop working but the way I've been feeling for the last few years tells me otherwise.

2. weeze

weeze Banned

i've had too many people quit on me this year. many have passed away or moved or whatever. the business is just too up and down and not stable enough in my area. it doesn't help that 500 other people are in the business as well.

the good customers are in their 70s and 80s so if you get them they end up passing away after a few years so you lose them. the younger people are too "flaky" so you can't count on them to provide you with a living.

the work isn't all bad but it's not all good either. i don't like to work. i'd much rather be doing something fun all day long but life just doesn't work that way unless you are born into a rich family or something like that. :laugh:

also it doesn't help that i'm getting older every year. :rolleyes:

i don't even know if i can get another job. i think most every company wants to hire someone in their 20s. if i can't get another job i'll be forced to keep doing this and it may very well become a nightmare over time. who knows?

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying my best to retire from this business. I've always had a full time job while doing the lawn care. I spent about a decade with 70+ weekly accounts plus a full time job. Now I'm down to my last 10 accounts. Decided not to replace any accounts as customers pass away or go out of business a couple of years ago. My full time job is doing design engineering in front of a computer screen as a consultant working from home. Only about 10-12 hours per week out mowing now. Kind of a pain to still need backup equipment for such a small operation. It's hard to know when to get out. I think I passed that point already. Doing the one armed thing w/ my second rotator cuff surgery in the past couple of years. I guess I like a good challenge.

4. agm

agm LawnSite Senior Member
    from NM

Thats very understandable. I too sometimes feel the same way. Fortunatley for me, im a full time firefighter so i can REALLY pick and choose my customers and if they cancel, pass away or whatever its not a terrible ordeal for me as this isnt my "bread and butter" per se. I can retire from fire dept in 2 years so we'll see what i do with my business then. Ive been in business 15 years and have close to 45 weekly accounts with 2 full time employees. I could grow the business more if i wanted but i dont have time (just yet) to commit to over see everything. I hope all goes well for you whether it be staying in business or finding a new job!

weeze, DXN1EL, rixtag and 2 others like this.
  5. RobotAttack

RobotAttack LawnSite Member

How old are you?

Are you in OK physical shape?

Are you on a decent diet with lots of fiber, fat and protein, but a minimum of sugar?

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

This sounds like carpal tunnel and/or vibrations syndrome:dizzy:
    I had to make some changes do to this same issueThumbs Up

Doc8406 and sjessen like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I'm with you on that but frankly it would be better to just keep doing repairs on the gear I currently have. I've had the truck for 9 years and the trans is going out, $1200.00, and I wouldn't need it except for the mowing biz. My turf tracer is getting some blow by and I know that's gonna need rings minimum and that's about $500 if I do the work myself. I've had it for 10-12 years. I have history with all my gear and it's all maintained the way it should but crap wears out. I don't want to buy more used gear just to see that there are problems with it as well. New isn't an option because it will take more time than I want to do it to pay it off.

The number one thing to take note of here is this: It's been a ball breaking season and I'm beat. The end isn't as close as I want it to be. Come January/February when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and I'm dying to get outside and cut grass I'll likely be singing a different tune.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

70 weekly accounts and a full time job? Scratches head.

zlandman, weeze, rixtag and 1 other person like this.
  9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Used mowers and trucks sell cheap in winter time. Especially when it’s freezing out, zero work...

rixtag and RussellB like this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This is true

If you can make it stretch then do it
    I’ve seen blow by go on so long we literally ignored it without any major impediment to operations(was at least three seasons..)

rixtag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.