1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Calling it quits.....maybe.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. While it can be difficult to deal with customers and the headaches of business, it is much more pleasurable than dealing with coworkers and bosses and owners that have different ideas than yours, that also make the profit of your labor and give you a "wage". When in business, you are in control and can deal who you want to deal with, make changes to how you operate as needed, etc. When working for someone else, you get none of that, nor the profits.

landscaper22 likes this.
  2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I have always said I don't want to make money for someone else. Now if they are making billions and want to pay me like a million a year, maybe I will consider it. lol...But now days, they want to pay you $14 per hour while they make millions and then want you to do 2-3 jobs rolled into one with stupid expectations that are near impossible. Then you say one word and you are disgruntled. You are supposed to be thankful for this $14 per hour job and glad we give you a few crappy benefits and a good time off package but when you take the days off they give you, you are not dedicated. lol

3. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

Impressive but I beleive its possible. But no vacation and extreme stress when it rains for 3 days!

sjessen and RussellB like this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's a lot to think about for sure. the job i'm applying for is in pest control. it's basically the same thing as mowing only the customer base will always be steady. they have salesmen that get all of the new customers for you. you just get a route and work on your own much like the lawn business. the big thing is they will pay for everything. all of the expenses are on them not me. they give you a truck to drive and everything. you can even drive it home and drive to and from work. they pay for the gas and all that. basically i will be making the same as i make in the lawn business only i won't have the expenses coming out of my profit so i will end up making a good bit more money overall.

it's a lot of little things. being as they give me a truck i'll only drive "my" truck once a week or something and it will last much longer. not towing around a mower will make it last longer too. also i keep my mowers and equipment at my parent's garage. they are in their 70s so how much longer are they gonna live? when they pass the house will be sold and i'll nowhere to keep my equipment. i don't have a garage at my house and really there is no room to build one.

also this job offers benefits and 401k which adds money to my bank account even more. it's a no brainer really. the work is easier too.

no job is perfect. they all pretty much suck. i think this will be a better way for me to go though.

i will miss having winters off for sure. that was my favorite part of the year. :laugh:

i think what makes mowing hard is we have too much "variety" here. some people want weekly cuts but most want bi-weekly. some start in March others wait until April. some stop in october others need to be mowed all the way til christmas. bi weekly yards will want to skip and it just throws a monkey wrench into the schedule. it's always stuff like that.

if everyone was on the same page like clockwork March-Dec it would be a cakewalk...but it's just not that way. you can't make them do it either. too many people mowing on the side that will do whatever a homeowner wants them to do. 10 day cuts or whatever. it's just all over the place.

also the weather here is screwy. for 4 months this year it rained every friday and saturday so there was no work gonna be done on those days no matter what. few years ago we had a drought. it's just always something screwing up the schedule.

it's just chaos really. no way around it in this business. always gonna be stuff that comes up.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. landscaper22

Yeah the weather is enough to drive us insane. I don't blame you for wanting to get out. It is chaos. And the help situation makes it worse, There is nothing I want more than to have 4-5 mowing crews running around, and an irrigation crew and a landscaping crew. But all I would have is a bunch of problems and people not showing up, and damage to property and on and on...(but all of that is our fault right???? some of these people on here get to me)...If we can't find good crews and keep good help, it's our fault. ROFL...It can't be that people don't care these days and are lazy could it? It has to be lack of training! Yep that's it. lol..I didn't know I had to train people to show up and be on time. I didn't know I had to train people to use their brain and eyes, and not miss or skip areas! Let's face it, this is not a job that intelligent go getters stand in line for..If they have half a brain they can make more money with a $200 push mower and a sears string trimmer. That really makes it even that much more difficult to groe...

I am there with you. I actually considered pest control one time, and was looking into the best company in town which my friend works for. He has been there forever. But he talked me out of it. He makes good money (or decent) and it sounded nice. But the funny thing is, he gets paid by the job,not by the hour. So, having the lawn care business mentality, I figured, you get done, your customers are happy, you go home. lol..Nope..they want to create things for you to do in which you don't get paid for, to make you work until 5 pm. WTH..And they have GPS on the trucks and don't want you sitting any one place too long. No long lunch or anything. I just don't get it. You are not working by the hour soooo this makes no sense to me. If my route gets done, then I don't think they should be able to tell me what to do or not do. It's not hourly or salary. So that kind of stuff was a deal breaker for me. Just look into all the details before you sign up lol....Talk to someone that works there and see what they have to say about the negative and positives.

I understand the situation though. I would walk away tomorrow if I could. Luckily I have room for my equipment at my house and room for my trailer. I just use an enclosed trailer so I don't have to find anywhere to store equipment. Even if I do get out, I have a feeling I will still service for some of my fave accounts. I don't know what else to do though. Not sure if the house building thing is my thing. But at this point in my 40's I ask, what is my thing??? I still don't know what to do when I grow up. lol

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i'm the same way. i'm 44 and don't know what i want to do when i grow up. i've always been that way. i wish i was one of those people that had 1 thing they wanted to do and knew what that 1 thing was but i'm just not made that way.

the pest control thing can be tricky. it all depends on the office you work at. a lot of them are terrible with bad management. if you find a good one though you will be happy. i've known people that worked at this one i'm appying at and they said it was great there. i actually put in at another place (the same company) and they didn't hire me.

a guy at my church works at one office that's 25 min from my house and his brother works at the other that's 15min from my house. his brother interviewed me at that one but they never hired me. it's up to the management above him.

i talked to the guy at my church and he said i don't want to work there anyways. the management is bad and they hate him so i ended up applying for his office which is 25min away from my house. i have an interview there tuesday of next week.

i think you start off hourly and then it changes to salary after that.

i think the key to any job is to just not worry about it. do a good job and then go home and forget about it. don't let the details stress you out because no one really cares when it's all said and done. people aren't thinking about their lawn or bugs in their house or about the plumbing or whatever. they only think about those things when something goes wrong. you just go in and fix it for them so they don't have to and they pay you for it. then you move on and forget it all ever happened and so do they. :laugh:

it's something i've had to work at. i'm very sensitive to things and overly think about everything. if i let it then it will keep me up all night thinking about it. i've had to learn to just "not care" about it all. it's sort of a balancing act you have to perform. you have to care enough to do a good job and do it properly but not care so much that it stresses you out or anything. being OCD and wanting everything 100% perfect makes that hard to do. it's simply not possible or realistic for everything to be 100% perfect. i've had to learn to accept that. just shoot for 90-95% perfect and let it go. either way it's still an A. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    landscaper22 likes this.
  7. landscaper22

An A is an A lol..I feel you man, I do. I hope the interview goes well. I let my work stress me too. I think the biggest thing that drives me crazy is when you have your normal job you are supposed to be doing then your boss pulls you to do other work all the time. Then they turn around a week later and want to know why your regular work isn't done. Nothing bothers me worse than feeling like I am doing everything I can and a boss only sees what isn't done, and don't care that they pulled you for a week to do something else. I will lose it on them in a minute when they do that to me lol. I think i will always have to do something for myself from now on. The question is, what? lol...I am hoping I like building houses. At least my dad already has it set up and figured out. He has an amazing group of cub contractors. So, I feel it is a good thing to get into with all my issues. But who knows. Keep us updated on that job.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there's more money in houses that's for sure. as long as you can get other people to do the labor you are good to go. i'd hate to work in construction all day long in the heat. that would be way worse than mowing in the heat. at least you get a break in between yards when mowing in the a/c in the truck. in construction you are just out there in it all day long.

paulsgrass likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I have a very hard time making a payment on something that can't be used for 4-6 months of the year. It takes twice as long to pay it off that way. There is the time factor as well. I want to have more free time and getting 2 more props not only takes that away but also ups the expenses.

landscaper22 likes this.
  10. landscaper22

Oh yeah, I am not a handy man, it would have to be just monitoring the building process and ordering materials, dealing with the home owners making changes etc...I am not a very handy person. I know how to do things, and can learn to build a house on paper. But I am not good at actually doing that type of work with my hands. I already have a degree and am used to test taking, so with the proper training and studying, I can probably pass the license exam. My dad was determined he wasn't doing much if any work. Now he does do some remodels sometimes, and does the work, but he just enjoys that as he is a good handy man. As far as new construction, he doesn't really do anything. No way I would actually do the construction. I wouldn't even consider that line of work if I was doing the work

weeze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.