Calling it quits.....maybe.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya..I don't know then. Maybe just keep using what you have until it dies then make a decision. I mean just because something breaks doesn't mean you have to trash the mower. You may have already answered this, but do you work another job too, or just getting to the age where you are hanging up work soon? I was just wondering. Not sure of your work load. But if you are slamming it and working long days, then you can make a lot of money over the next 3 years or so.

If you are just thinking of retiring, then maybe try to keep running what you have. What I am getting at is $1200 for a trans isn't going to break the bank. If you are doing 85-100 grand per year and have to invest another $7000 to get through the next 3 years, it's not that bad of an investment. Keep in mind, you can sell the mower when you are done as well. I mean only you can answer the question. Even if I get out of the business I will keep a commercial mower for myself. I currently rotate my mower out every 2 years anyway. I am all about staying on the ground running, and not being in the shop with things breaking. You just have to decide if you are ready to hang it up or not. I feel sure you can patch the old truck up and get more time out of it. The mower thing, you just need to decide if you are ready to hang it up.

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just saw this post. You sound like me. I don't know your age, but I am in my 40's and going through the same thing. I know what my main issue is, but wondering if I have other things going on too. You may have an auto immune disease. Many are difficult to diagnose, and many doctors won't dig deep enough to diagnose them. I feel the exact same though. Tired all the time, plus I had foot surgery in the winter for a ruptured tendon, followed by gallbladder surgery a week later. I wanted to die. Then have to deal with this crap business on top of it all. Luckily my dad helped and it was winter in the south, so not much to do. I got lucky. But if it wasn't for a good helper (which he only works 3 days per week) I would be up the creek. I just can't go like I used to. Fatigue, limited mobility, pain, brain fog, and on and on.

You may qualify for disability. My doctor won't even consider it for me. I have a degree and that with being in my 40s he said it would be impossible to get. I have been dealing with this mess for 10 years. It wasn't near as bad at first of coure, but getting worse. This business is about all I have known for so long, and this isn't a good area for jobs. There are too many things that I just can't do, including standing for extended periods, a lot of bending or heavy lifting, etc. Sort of limits what you can do. What good is my degree when I have had it over 20 years with no experience in my field??? I hate you are delaing with all that. I certainly can relate my friend!

3. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 57 and with the ailments I have developed, I don't know if I can do another season. I'm hurting terrible today after doing 4 lawns yesterday! My back, joints, muscles, skin and a list of other problems. Yes skin! Neuropathy causes you to get random pain that can feel like a yellow jacket sting! It has gotten worse in the last two years. Guys that complain about getting stung by a bee are lucky. I get it in both feet a few times a day if not more! Itching? Don't get me started on that. I have back scratchers in every room and one in my truck! I itch in the exact same spots all the time. Some days are better than others. Diabetes causes a lot of nerve ending damage and pain. I try to eat right and even that doesn't make me feel any better. Meds only take you so far in helping unless I get something stronger but then I can't work while on them. Sucks bad, real bad....

4. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

I could go on and on about the issues I'm having and going through. I was never one to do nothing. I'm always wanting to be into something. I'm finding it hard to even enjoy myself when fishing, flying RC planes, playing my Les Paul, or doing anything for that matter. Maybe finding out that my ex was seeing someone else after trusting her in marriage to be faithful has knocked me down and out. I never thought she would do that me. It's a terrible feeling when you were faithful to someone you cared about, only to get dumped on in the end.

Mumblingboutmowers and sjessen like this.
  5. weeze

weeze Banned

good luck guys. it's chaos out there in the workforce. i've been looking at things all over. it's totally nuts!!!

they say there's so many jobs out there but it isn't true!!! it's all lies!!!!

for every job i've put in for 100 other people are putting in for the same job.

sure there's lots of min wage fast food jobs. i guess that's what they are talking about? those aren't "real" jobs though. you can't make a living on a part time fast food job that pays min wage....therefore if you are in your 40s that's not a job to you.

even the chicken plants here only pay $10/hr. that's nuts. it's like slave labor wages.

i'm still waiting on the pest control place that pays $15/hr. i had about given up on it. i went to another pest control place today and they called me right in for an interview soon as i filled out the app. turns out they only pay $10/hr!!!! i was just in shock. i was like i need to make at least $12/hr and that is scraping by on the bare minimum. i'm single and have the cheapest house you can buy in my area almost that's not falling apart. how can they expect people to make a living on these jobs? it's simply not possible.

not everyone is married and has a wife that also has a job. it's like they don't even consider that possibility. it's crazy.

anyways i called the other place back and they just said they've been really busy and haven't had time to do 2nd interviews but they will be trying to do them in the next week or two.

...so after looking around everywhere it's really come down to this job as being my last hope. if i don't get it i'll be forced to work a part time job and keep mowing and do the 2 job thing which sucks.

i hope i can get this job. i've never in my life seen so much competition out there for jobs. it's crazy. these aren't "top tier" jobs either. it's barely scraping by to make a living wage. it's ridiculous.

Mumblingboutmowers and sjessen like this.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Really really sorry to read this.

You have been through a lot and this on top of it.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Been there, done that. Feel your pain.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Soory, Weeze.

RussellB and sehitchman like this.
  9. weeze

weeze Banned

ah it's gonna be fine. i should be getting a call next week for the 2nd interview. :D

sjessen likes this.
  10. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered moving to a different area where the job prospects are better? Or expanding commute time?

Not really sure if either of those are viable options but it really sounds like the area you are in is pretty tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.