1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Calling it quits.....maybe.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

I LIKE work. I don't like not working and that's not because of the money. I would work for free if I could build a business that way, but I can't.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's tough because so many people here are the same way. most don't go to college to get a degree because it costs so much so you have thousands of people fighting over the few jobs out there.

really the only benefit i have is i'm not on drugs like most of them are. i show up to work every day. just basic common sense stuff like that.

i went to college but couldn't decide on a major so i quit going.

this new job i'm trying to get is about 25 min from my house. it really doesn't matter where you go. it's the same story in every town in the southeast.

they only surefire way to make good money and get a job for sure is in manufacturing. i did that for several years. it's a horrible way to live life. it's just not my cup of tea. working swing shifts, hard work, long hours, etc. etc

the problem is your body just breaks down working in factories. you get carpal tunnel and stuff like that. it's just not a good way to live life. i did it for 7 years. i left that to start my lawn business. i was making $25/hr at that job. the highest paying job in my area without a degree. it was good money but it just takes over your whole life. it controls you. you have to live to work in order to do that. i work to live. i guess it fits some people but it just didn't fit me. i tried to stick it out as long as i could. it slowly drives you insane over the years and sucks the life out of you. :laugh:

you should see the people that have worked in factories for 20-30 years. they are like 50 years old and look 80 and they can hardly walk around and have all sorts of chronic injuries from all the years of hard work.

these days though it's mostly mexicans working in the factories. they are taking over those jobs down here.

the white man is just too soft these days including me. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

beat the crap out of my body in a agriculture production facility.back and arms mostly.but you can pace yourself with lawncare.being your own boss is truly a great blessing.ive taken the pain and injuries i recieved from repetitious job and try to turn it into a positive.i constantly look for ways to avoid repetition,bending,squeezing,etc.it has made me a smarter worker and forced me to do unconventional things that work.it makes gardening/maintenance a bit interesting when you can constantly improve.good luck with job interview

Cam15, hort101 and weeze like this.
  4. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeeze Weeze, you complain that the good paying jobs are in manufacturing but you complain that the work is too hard. My hands are in the air! You are physically able to work 8-10hr days but don't want to work long days. Now try to imagine that you physically cannot keep going for a mere 4hrs without exhaustion and breaks every 15-20 minutes to catch your breath!
    I do understand what you are dealing with. Everyone has their demons as they say. It would be easy for me to tell you that you should move to let say, Maryland. You could look for a job online in the area and even secure a job. Move up to a new place where you can start from scratch. It would be a refreshing change. Now doing it is a entirely different story. I have a year left in me if that. I WANT to walk away from it all and drive until I run out of gas/money and start over but my body isn't going to allow me to do it. I'm going to be one of those people that is stuffed in a small apartment living on disability until I die.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just trying to find the right "balance" in life is all. the factory job was at one extreme...plenty of money but too much hard work...and the lawn care for me was at the other extreme....money was tight but work load was good.

i don't have a problem working hard but when it leads to injuries that's the point where it goes too far. we are only human and we have limits. we aren't robots. we have to find what our limits are and work within them. this can change with time especially as we get older. it's just the nature of life.

i need to find a happy medium between the two. the right amount of money with the right amount of work. that's all i'm trying to find. a healthy balance.

the factory sucked because all you could do was sit on your butt all weekend trying to rest to get ready for the next week of work. i just don't want to live my life that way. it made me feel like a slave to my job. i want to be able to live a life outside of work as well. i don't think that's too much to ask.

i don't have a problem working but there's more to life than just working. i just want to find that balance between work life and life outside of work.

Mark Stark and hort101 like this.
  6. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with this.why work yourself out of a job?i was in my late 20s when i saw my body go south.there were guys working with me in their 50s who were coming to work stressed out all the time.i got out before it completely wrecked me.i made good money during that time.i realized its better to make less money for a longer period of time than more money for a short period.those 50year olds worked a physical job and beat themselves to exhaustion and the hate of work because their bodies ached.they knew they couldnt find any work for a 50-60 yr old whose beat up.they couldnt even find work if they werent beat up.out with the old and in with new healthy body teenagers.it is safer and wiser to keep your body healthy so you can work longer and spread out your earnings.the best way to do that is through self employment and in my opinion is set hours or a set salary and work yourself around your set schedule.of course we have no control of our body or health and you can be screwed anyhow.in that case you may want to have your hope in something else.i believe it was Mother Theresa who said we will one day look back on this life like a bad nights stay in a motel.not even close to some of your levels of pain or age on these responses,but im trying to prepare for that day.

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

Weeze,

I've been doing the lawn thing for many years now, it's kept me sane, and made me crazy at times.
    At 61, been real fortunate with my health.
    I try not to take it for granted, and no I'm no puritan. lol
    I knew a long time ago that this wasn't some grandiose, get rich gig, and have a great wife that works in the professional, salaried word, with all the benefits that come with that. huge difference.
    I really couldn't enjoy all the perks I have on a lawn care income alone.

you will come to a conclusion on where you need to be.

hort101, Wye Oak Tree, JLSLLC and 2 others like this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah having that extra help is a huge bonus. i wish i had it but i don't. just trying to find something that works for me that's more steady and not so up and down like the lawn care business can be.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I am where you are just a few years older.

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  10. K c m

K c m LawnSite Silver Member

Read this whole thread. first off. you're not going to get rich mowing. You're going to use mowing to get you other work because lets face it. This week sept 23-29 is my last week cutting for two weeks. 133 lawns. Poof, no more, we dried out. The next cut in two weeks is the end of the season unlike last year where i made it almost to november. Thats the real long and short of our business. Ya just don't know. So....WHen you diversify say tree work, sod, generators, parking lot lights, heat trace, duck banks, etc and people ask you if you know a guy and you say you......and you get the job you can stack the fall. If you can figure out how to stack work you'll never worry about a bill again. O yeah...when it dries out in late june send out EDDMs. Guys don't want to spend the money. 1000 flyers with postage indesia and sending them out is like 300 dollars. Pays off in spades.
    Now i don't know ya...if you're looking to sit on your mower and collect a check then you're not going anywhere except where the weather takes you. Good luck, buck up, diversify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.