1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Camera

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mondragon Lawn Serv, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Kellen,

Great shots. Good balance in your exposure between the high and low contrast areas. You nailed the sharpness on the fountain. did you brush in a darker vignette on the last vertical photo? I can see it on the edges in the sky (not sure if that was a product of your camera/ lens combo or if it was a creative choice in post.

Be careful posting your photos on Lawnsite without watermarks of some kind. They tend to be lifted from here and you will see them everywhere on the web from other operators or retail sites.

I'll usually shoot most of my photos at f/6.3- f/9 for most settings where I am trying to get reasonable DOF. If I am shooting a feature at more of a close-up distance, I'll drop my aperture down to f/2.8-f/4 if I want more bokeh in the background to isolate my subject. On calm nights, my shutter speed never leaves 100, but if the wind kicks up a bit, ill jump up to as much as 800 on my ISO to minimize motion blur. I'm sure you probably shoot everything RAW as well.

Do you ever focus stack or exposure stack your shots to add more DOF or dynamic range in your shots?

Good dialogue. More guys need to be taking good shots of their work.

hort101 likes this.
  2. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

Creative choice. That one in particular had such a narrowing effect anyway that I decided to emphasize that a little bit.

Yeah I probably should figure out some sort of watermarking that does an OK job without being too distracting.

Yep all RAW and processed in Lightroom which helps me tweak levels to how I want them. I have a few shots from the hacienda project that I used really low DOF on for isolation bokeh. Its a nice effect when you want to really show some delicate lighting work (in this case we have some really soft moonlighting down on the urns)

Now and then I'll do HDR merges. *Most* of the time this doesn't give me much better than I typically get than my normal photo techniques. I've found that with proper lighting the exposure generally comes out nice and even with few lost details on either end of the spectrum. We did have a project earlier this year that had a backlight on a white lettered sign that caused me to lose the letters on the sign if anything else was to be exposed. HDR helped me bring up those details.

Thanks for the input!

3. Marc H

Marc H LawnSite Member

I have a chance to pick up a d750 with a Nikkor 24-120mm f4.0 for a pretty good price, and was wondering if anyone on here has experience with this lense. I will admit that my experience in photography consists of research on low light cameras for the sole purpose of taking photos of my projects. Would it be worth the extra money for the 24-70 f2.8 that has been discussed?

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, the 24-70 is worth the extra money for the extra speed of the f/2.8