Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you please give me your opinion as to whether or not a 42 year old female could handle this job? my husband and i are just starting out, don't even have our first client yet! thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yes, you can do this work. You may have to wheel a lighter load in the wheelbarrow, or pick up a smaller arm full of crapolla. Depends a lot on your conditioning,of what you have been doing in the past. You can always work into the trade. I know a couple of girles that will work circles around men. Good Luck...

Gene

·
Registered
245 Posts
Originally posted by LongIslander
This 44 year old lady handles it just fine! I do need to take a lighter load in the wheelbarrow and carry less, but I certainly make up for it in attention to detail and perseverance!
marg
Marge said it just right. We have at least one female on each crew just to ensure our attention to detail is right on.

The we have zero ladies who pull less than their fair share. I wish I could say the same about all of the guys.

BTW, my wife is a tad over fifty and she works like a dang machine. She often shames the men into working even harder.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My mom helped dad mow 100 lawns, residential and commercial, for several years. She was about 38 when they had decided to slow down, but they still had 70 accounts or so. I say that you can do it.
I agree with Lawn Perfect. "Certainly a women can do the job. Just takes integrity, discipline, long hours, willingness to learn and please and a desire to make good money."

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I see more women every year doing this work and they seem to do just fine.

The only thing I would not want a woman doing, is wrestling big plants/trees into position for planting. Most women are not as strong as a man so theres no need to risk a permanent back injury ( my wife now has one from lifting a computer at work)

Mowing and property maintenance is not at all strenuous or tiring.

I'd hire a woman in a heartbeat if I found one that I could count on showing up for work on time everyday (something I cant get from the college students)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I personally know 2 women who handle the job with out any problems, both are in there late forties.
As a matter of fact they can out work alot of guys.
I worked with one of them on a few jobs and there was no stopping her.
And yes, she has a great attention for details.
MJ

·
Registered
251 Posts
funny this post would be made.... Just yesterday we took a delivery of building materials from the lumber yard - and the two delivery people were women. They tossed 6x6's like they were toothpicks. I spoke at great length with both of them about coming to work for us. I have no reservations about having women on the crews. One of the best workers I ever had died 4 years ago - and she was a 62 year old ! She could work circles around any 21 year old I had at the time. You know what you're capable of and desire to do ! Go for it !!
Dave

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
and of course, i'm the bad guy, as usual. my question would have to be, is it just going to be you and your husband? it's much easier for a woman to go to work for an established company, one that has all thier policies in place, is very organised, has a training program for safety, equipment use, etc. i'd say a female trying to start a business from the ground up, will have a very, very difficult time. one reason is physical streghnth and endurence, the other is inability to deal with emotional issues related to the job(customer ripping you off, etc) , and when your coworkers or partner gets a little mouthy, well....you get the point. best of luck, hang in there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks very much to all the responses regarding my 41 year old wife, I think she is less reluctant now to go and do what I believe will erase over six years of office work that was probably the real culprit in the demise of our health...controlled environment all the time, and each year getting softer and softer. I think that this will be tough at first, but will eventually be the best thing that has happened to us healthwise and mindwise. I believe that most of the health problems in this country comes from a sedentary life and I firmly believe that the media overdoes it on how hot it is, a fifteen minute break under a shade tree is better than eight hours soaking in freon and letting your body go to waste.
Good luck to you all and God Bless.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
the other is inability to deal with emotional issues related to the job(customer ripping you off, etc) , and when your coworkers or partner gets a little mouthy, well....you get the point. best of luck, hang in there
:laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am only 33, but I'm a mother of 4. My husband has been in the Greens Industry for 10 years. We decided several years back to work start a new company. So this is the beginning of our company's 3rd full season. We don't currently have any other employees (by choice) and we are together 24/7/365. I would say you need to have a strong relationship with your spouse. We're best friends, we love working together and reaping the benefits together... but there are days when we could just 'knock each other's block off'. The key is: this has to be a mutual vision/goal/dream. It is very hard work. I'm stronger than most women, so I can do most anything he can, but there is still a point that physically, I've had enough. Those are the days that I long for a long hot bubble bath, clean finger nails, my hair to be fixed, and to smell like anything but dirt. :eek: In the long run, I wouldn't change a thing. I love our team, I love my job, I love our work, and most important, I love my coworker.:p

Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think a female should be able to deal with the emotional issues as well, but i do know many women who try to please everybody. You have to understand that you just can't do that in any business! If you go into it with the attitude of not trying to please everybody then I think you're fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.